OT Yes the creep keeps rising and you cannot stop it

You only have to fill it, according to the web site, if the tank goes below 1/4. You do not pay for gas separately, it is included in the hourly price of renting along with insurance.

Reply to
Leon

Ah, I missed that. I thought it was a standard rental. I rented a car a couple of weeks ago (will do it again next week). I had to put[*] 2-1/2 gallons of gas in it, at $4.09/gallon (Lew should love that data point ;).

[*] Boss had to pay ;-)
Reply to
krw

At least in Indianapolis, these are supposed to be mostly electric cars. $35 millionto set it up, so there should be at least something to see.

Reply to
Bill

Well if these vehicles were gasoline, there should be about 2300 units. But then you need the specialized charging stations in tons of locations.

On another note, Houston added rail for mass transit 10+ years ago, it was all political and a hot bed for controversy. For the first year there was a vehicle collision with the train, on average, every day. It was always the other guys fault, I think that is because the train is always in the right, right or wrong. Mysteriously the accidents are no longer breaking news and you very seldom hear of an accident these days. I suspect that this is because the daily occourance became boring to report on or the city maybe suggested that not so much attention be paid to the problem.

An interesting note, one of the news sources determined that the rail system cost so much money that it would have been less expensive to have purchased a Ferrari for each rider.

I wonder how many vehicles $35,000,000 puts in service and or if Ferrari's would be less expensive. I wonder how many

Reply to
Leon

I just noticed that Enterprise Leasing is offering basically the same type rental in Houston. I have never noticed that ad in the past.

Reply to
Leon

As you mentioned, the $35 million includes setting up charging stations, etc. It seem that it's the taxi-cab business that should be most concerned.

Reply to
Bill

--------------------------------------------------------- Hertz just announced that in the major markets they will be offering a Tesla for $500/day.

Assume that includes the $0.00/gal refuel charge.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

He'll it should include a day at the Spa!

Reply to
Leon

But it's for the children!

Reply to
krw

Oh, wonderful. I can get a standard sized car for about 1/20th that and drive it as far as I want.

Does it have to be returned fully charged?

Reply to
krw

I guess there were rental options. I could have bought a whole tank of gas for $3.50/gallon or paid for them to fill it at $5.00 per gallon. Neither made any sense (and are specifically discouraged by accounting).

Reply to
krw

Self-driving cars, or some subset of such, is a definite possibility. Mass transit, not a chance. No one wants it and there is no money to pay for it if they did. ======================================================================== Seattle mass transit, they say, has record ridership but according to the politicos, they are going to have to raise taxes on everyone to keep it running. Now that's an efficient system. The plan is to raise vehicle license rate so those of us that don't use the public system get to pay for it.

Reply to
CW