Cannot stop leaks of Bottom Inlet Valve

Just brought a toilet cistern Fluidmaster PRO45B bottom inlet valve.

It has to fit in an ancient Tyford ceramic tank on the WC which has quite a large hole for the inlet valve to sit into and also a complication is that the ceramic washer face is also at a bit of an angle.

Consequently tightening up really a lot on the back nut, it still wobbles and leaks. I read many times don't overtighten i.e. finger tight as much as you can, then a quarter turn with adjustable pliers. But i have been going at it way way more than that, with it still leaking.

As an amateur i can only think that a very big, very soft; sealing washer to go on the inside of the ceramic tank is needed? Would this be the way to go?

If so, is it possible to get such a sealing washer; or if i was to try to cut one out, what kind of rubbery spongy material could i buy to cut up? Thanks for help.

Reply to
john west

Toolstation or Screwfix will likely have something to fit/bodge

Search screwfix for tap washers to see their range of rubber/fibre washers for this type of application.

alan_m

I used some sponge from a mouse-mat to make a sealing washer for my worn plastic toilet cistern outlet.

Reply to
Dave W

I read the destructions, and it says not to use putty. Otherwise, I'd suggest a bit of plumbers mait.

I don't see how the washer can be at an angle?

Reply to
GB

Imagine a slice of bread that you dont cut straight, so its thick on one side and thin on the other, hence the angle.

Is there a putty or plumbers mate type stuff people would recommend. The type put in about fifteen years ago on this cistern has gone rather crumbly, so am looking to buy a durable one if possible.

Reply to
john west

I'd guess a silicone sealant rather better these days. Fernox LS-X is made for this sort of thing.

Clean everything first so it can get a good grip.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Give it plenty of time to cure (not just the surface) before testing it with water.

The problem may be that if you haven't got a good mechanical fit and it still wobbles using a sealant will not act as a glue to make it stable. Slight movement may make it leak again. Multiple "soft" washers of foam/fibre/rubber may work better.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes. I'd make sure it is a good fit in the hole. Use a sleeve if needed to stop it moving side to side.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)