Finish recommendation for use in bathroom

I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard maple.

Thanks,

Reply to
Joe Riel

Best varnish going IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Three coats of polyurethane and let it cure for a week. I used that on the kitchen stool for my wife and it has held up for years.

My other solution is to trade in the short Italian for a 5'11" Swedish blonde. Actually, two of them. When my wife turned 66 I told her I can get two 33's for the same price. She is laughing now, but when it happens. . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

------------------------------------------------ You mean she didn't ask you what you thought you would do with them if you got them?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My uncle (Dad's older brother) was an electrician and he said when his wife turned 40 he was going to trade her in for 2 20s, but he found out that at 40 HE wasn't wired for 220!!

Reply to
clare

I would glue some rubber tread on top. Especially in a bathroom.

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, I wonder about that. Should I be able to do that afterwards, glue to a varnished surface, if it seems necessary?

Reply to
Joe Riel

Yeah, just use liquid nails.

Reply to
willshak

Alternatively mix some "play box"coarse sand in with the varnish and then apply to the steps.

Reply to
Leon

---------------------------------------------------------------- An old trick for putting "non-skid" on a boat deck.

Apply varnish then sprinkle sand or ground walnut shells using a salt shaker type can.

When varnish has dried, sweep off recess.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Use a mastic which is designed for the job.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Go to

for good advice on how to glue plastic to varnish. mahalo, j4

Reply to
jo4hn