Bandsaw trouble

I have an older Jet JBS 14MW bandsaw. While tightening one of the upper gu ide blocks, the guide block housing cracked. DAGS for a replacement part a nd came up with nothing, so it looks like I need to go aftermarket. Looked at some of the Carter options, but they are pretty pricey. Any suggestion s?

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Take it to a welding shop that does cast iron welding (magnaflux?) and don't get carried away tightening down in the future?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

"Unquesti>

---------------------------------------------------- For cast iron, that would be brazing.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I would try JB Weld. I've used it with success on cracked metal.

- Art S.

Reply to
Art

Call this number... JET Tools North America

427 New Sanford Road La Vergne, TN 37086 Phone: 1.800.274.6848

They have parts for Jet, Delta, and almost every other old brand name that was bought up by the same conglomerate years ago.

I have the same exact saw as you. When I first got it and was looking for some spare parts I called these guys because they are right down the road from me. They told me they still have bunches and bunches of parts for these old machines in their warehouse but they don't advertise it.

Look up the parts number on line in case they don't know what you're talking about. If they a problem with paying over the phone and shipping it, I'd be happy to pick it up for you and send it for the cost.

But yeah, might be a good excuse to buy newer guides. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

These things are more like pot metal like the old die-cast toy cars used to be made of. Very light, brittle, weak, and easy to crack. The problem with "don't get carried away" is that if there was a scale of 1-10 of "tight enough to hold the guide steady" and "too tight, might crack," the former would be 5 and the latter would be 6. Seriously.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Where is it cracked? Perhaps you can fashion something to hold it together securely. For example, if it's along one of the square edges, a bit of angle iron (aluminum would probably work), a couple screws and a couple tapped holes might form an adequate repair.

A roller bearing setup won't be cheap, but I believe they're designed to replace the entire guide block housing. Maybe you can find someone who's got the spare parts left from a conversion.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

OK, "crack" is a bit of an understatement. I chunk of it broke off, splitt ing the threaded hole for the set screw in half. I think the odds of getti ng a weld or braze or epoxy to hold without compromising the threads are pr etty low. Hence, the replacement.

And, let it be known that I wasn't torqueing the set screw hard. I guess t his one falls into the "shit happens" category.

Larry

guide blocks, the guide block housing cracked. DAGS for a replacement part and came up with nothing, so it looks like I need to go aftermarket. Look ed at some of the Carter options, but they are pretty pricey. Any suggesti ons?

Reply to
Gramps' shop

As I explained in another post, there's no operator error involved with this. It was a poor design made with poor material. They are notorious for breaking in that exact spot.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It might be possible to hold things together with a metal band on either side of the screw hole. A piece of square stock measuring close to 7/8" should do it, perhaps with a little filing.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm guessing but I bet you can get that part from just about anybody who carries parts for band saws including Delta. Jet is a "direct" copy of the Delta 14" band saw that has been in production since the 1930's as I recall.

Jet is still in business and they should be contacted also.

Is this your saw ???

and I bet those guide blocks will work on your saw.

Carter also will have guide blocks that work...

Pat Barber

Now is a good time and opportunity to switch over to "Ceramic" guides!

Reply to
Leon

Update:

Called Jet (thanks, Mike) and there was enough confusion there as to whether the part was available that I had little confidence I would get the correct replacement.

Went to Woodcraft and decided against the $200 Carter upper and lower system as that was almost as much as I paid for the saw a few years back.

Found a Carter look-alike on eBay --

-- for about $60. Looks like it will fit. Will report once I receive it.

Thanks to all for your input.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

On 17 Sep 2013 02:51:17 GMT, Puckdropper

Could be poor design as Mike mentioned or the problem might be something else ~ metal fatigue.

Had an Emmert vise passed down to me from my father. It fell apart on me section by section. Had the same thing happen with an older drill press too. Some of the older tools are pretty good. Some just wear out over the years.

Reply to
none

That part should readily be available. They haven't really changed all that much over time.

Reply to
woodchucker

Please report back if they work. That would be worth searching for again, for me to buy.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Try to do google search "Aftermarket Jet 14 Compatible Band Saw Parts"

Reply to
surfside