Gluing cedar

I made some test finger joints out of cedar and glued them last night. I ha nd-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps wen t to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but you h ad to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rarely worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

Mike

Reply to
Michael

It's an oily wood. Try cleaning with Acetone first, or using epoxy.

Reply to
woodchucker

Not IME. Neither western nor eastern.

Reply to
dadiOH

IME may refer to:

Organizations

Institution of Mechanical Engineers, British engineering society Institute of Management Education, Hayatabad Peshawar KPK Pakistan Instituto Militar de Engenharia (Military Institute of Engineering), an engineering school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Iran Mercantile Exchange, an Iranian commodity exchange Institution of Mechanical Engineers India, an Indian engineering society

Science and Technology

Input method editor, a program or operating system component that allows computer users to enter characters and symbols not found on their keyboard In-Movie Experience, a content channel for providing bonus material on HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc Intron Mediated Enhancement, a biological process by which some intron sequences can enhance gene expression

Entertainment

I Mother Earth, an alternative rock band from Canada

Reply to
Michael

I hand-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but y ou had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rar ely worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

Thanks, Jeff. I'll give epoxy a shot.

Reply to
Michael

----------------------------------------------------------------- woodchucker wrote:

Michael wrote:

Thanks, Jeff. I'll give epoxy a shot.

---------------------------------------------------- Epoxy doesn't like 45F.

Try to maintain at least 65F until the epoxy kicks.

BTW, you also want to clean with acetone first.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

IME, it's none of the above.

Reply to
krw

Ah, got it.

Reply to
Michael

Thanks, Lew. I tried Gorilla glue for the heck of it. But I'll also experiment with acetone and epoxy.

Reply to
Michael

Will acetone help yellow glue set, or is yellow glue just not an option?

Reply to
Michael

Fresh unweathered cedar is "resistant" to most glues. Polyurethanes like "gorilla glue" work inmany cases - and wiping down with acetone before gluing can help as it removes the natural oil from the surface/fibers. The right moisture content (less than about 15%, but not too dry (like less than 5%) will let normal wood glues cure properly

Reply to
clare

hand-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but yo u had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rare ly worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

I think this might be a case of really dry cedar. I got several wide boards free from someone who was cleaning out his shed and wanted to get rid of t hem. They had obviously been there a while. I thought I would make a few bo xes out of them, but the gluing issue might make this a series of cumbersom e projects.

Reply to
Michael

------------------------------------------- Like epoxy, yellow glue doesn't like anything much below 60F.

Acetone won't help yellow glue set, but it will help prepare the surface to receive the y/g.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

--------------------------------------- Now you tell us.

Time to fire up the grill and use those planks to grill cedar planked .

Google "cedar planked fish", for lots of recipies.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Acetone simply cleans the surface, I think you should look at the working temp range on the bottle.

Reply to
Leon

I have glued the cedar picket on occasion with good results. I have had glue failures with oak face to plywood in temps not quite as cool as what you were working in.

Reply to
Leon

dadiOH

hand-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps w ent to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but you had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rarel y worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

Temp is one issue. Cedar should be fine with yellow glue as long as it is k iln or air dried to lumber status. However, yellow glue depends on pressure as part of the curing process. Otherwise there is no assurance you get muc h bond. Sounds like no pressure in this situation. I would use something li ke system 3 T-88 epoxy. No pressure required per-se.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:13:06 AM UTC-5, SonomaProducts.com wrot e:

I hand-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but y ou had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've rar ely worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

kiln or air dried to lumber status. However, yellow glue depends on pressu re as part of the curing process. Otherwise there is no assurance you get m uch bond. Sounds like no pressure in this situation. I would use something like system 3 T-88 epoxy. No pressure required per-se.

Thanks. I'm going to make another joint, bring it in the house, and clamp u p a little bit. I do not enjoy working with gorilla glue.

Reply to
Michael

I just un-clamped some cedar boards that I edged glued into panels for shelves. They were very dry boards on which I ripped fresh edges and joined, three-wide, with regular yellow Elmers carpenter glue, tightly clamped with good parallel clamps.

First inspection: everything is normal, glue is dried and boards are staying together, tightly. I'll report back if anything changes.

Reply to
-MIKE-