Preserving Rough Sawn Cedar

The rails and posts on our new porch are rough sawn cedar. A lot of it is fairly well protected from the elements, but the stair rails run out from under the roof and are already turning gray. Is there anything to treat the cedar with that will not change its overall appearance?

Reply to
Mark

Everything has some cost...the only thing that can slow down the graying is a coating and they all have some characteristics. For roughcut, varnishes aren't practical, so your best bet is probably a transparent stain in a color near what you would like. It will still weather, though...

Reply to
dpb

Penofin Oil has UV inhibitors. Had been working well for me for a few years now.

Edwin Pawlowski

Gray is what all wood eventually becomes, no matter what is applied. Some folks prefer to use a semitransparent graying stain, that preempts the natural oxidation process, and eases the wood color into old age, while protecting it. The July 2007 Consumer Reports, page 48, evaluates deck stains and preservatives, based on a three year test. Your library carries them. Top rated as usual are the Cabot solid color stains, which we use, and are impressed with. Semitransparent stains will let more of the natural wood color though, but are not as durable. Penofin, by the way, rates poorly (18th, with 20th the worst) and is really expensive at 38 bucks a gallon. My neighbor used it 3 years ago, and it is already turning dark with mildew/mould. Avoid linseed oil and natural oil based preservatives, as they also go mouldy pretty quick, as mildew/mould organisms love oil, and live off it.

Roger

Reply to
Roger