Waterline bursting

Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I need another adjective here) when pressure to the line is fluctuating? I'm wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is traumatic to the lines more so than the water pressure dropping during the day because all your neighbors take a dump at the same time or because the city is fooling around with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly to avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?

Reply to
Eigenvector

I can't help with the grammar, or spelling, but I can say that it is true that a water line will be more likely to bust when the pressure is increasing. However, any pipe or plumbing fixture that is going to bust due to daily pressure fluctuations is going to bust anyway very very soon. Shutting off your water at the main every day would be far more likely to cause various problems that it would to reduce them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Obviously I didn't phrase it properly, because you answered the question despite your attempts to puzzle out what I "really" wanted to say.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Yeah, I'm sure the lines will be there wondering when the next drink will come... :)

Pressure fluctuations of the type/magnitude you're describing are so well within operational/design/manufactured spec's as to be essentially constant pressure. A water hammer on a closing valve is far more of a shock than a system-wide pressure fluctuation...

Find something else to worry over...

Reply to
dpb

I don't know why you are going back to the drawing board; we all know that your galvanized pipes are just waiting to do you dirty at

1:37 AM within the next couple of weeks. All the while your blue PEX is just chillin'.
Reply to
Grandpa

If your that worried it's time to replace it. Lines in good shape don't burst.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I can't see that it makes a difference either way. If you turn them off, they can't burst in the middle of the night; but I hate what they do when you run water for the first time. I expect vitually everyone leaves the water on; so if you are taking a poll...

Reply to
Toller

I still turn any and all valves slowly. I find I can detect leaks early and shut the valve off quickly.

-- Oren

Oren

over how many years how many burst pipes have you found? how many leaks?

Reply to
hallerb

Leaks where?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Just found 10-15 on my brother's house. It was vacant in January when the furnace crapped out... :-(

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

One frozen copper pipe split (not related to valves).

Numerous leaks at valves .. when I have turned them (packing) :)

The plastic handle for a water softener by-pass valve snapped one day and I had one heck of a water mess. I now use metal handles.

-- Oren

Oren