Home Depot lifetime warranty

I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car. It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for several years.

I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a coat hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.

I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could get another tube for some that has already been applied? :)

Reply to
Terry

Stop wondering and call the manufacturer's 800 number? Sounds like the HD replies were fair.

-- Oren

Oren

Probably not worth the quest. I had something similar with a whole house water filter where I broke the housing on a Sunday morning and ran to the hardware store to get a replacement. When I sent in the warranty card and told them I had dropped and broken housing, they sent me a new housing. Years later I used the new filter to replace the old and the new one leaked. Manufacturer would not honor warranty. They would not listen to my reasoning that although the warranty card was mailed in about 6 years ago, that I just got around to using the product ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

It sounds like a fair policy. I would not be surprised if the manufacturer might offer a free replacement, but think about it. They don't really owe you a replacement. I wonder if I can return that quart of milk I bought two years ago? :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Greetings,

I wish there was an option when you were at the checkout to purchase the ability to return or not with two different prices. I don't like having to pay extra for people who use the return system to see what they can get away with rather than to return defective products.

William Deans

Reply to
William.Deans

A local ad is selling 1500 tubes of caulk for $700.00(?); image getting any warranty replacement service.

-- Oren

Oren

Define lifetime warranty.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk plainly says "lifetime warranty"

Reply to
Terry

I'm assuming this is a joke from the last smiley, but...

It isn't a "Home Depot" warranty, it's the manufacturers' warranty...and it does specificallly note it is for if the product fails in application...

Reply to
dpb

In use, of course.

You already got your answer: the warranty is for the applied caulk. Don't like it? Call the manufacturer. Maybe they'll send you a replacement tube just to shut you up.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The fine print of the warranty probably has some restrictions, including that it only covers the product when used according to the instructions. I'm guessing there is nothing in the instructions that says "leave caulk tube unopened in car trunk for several years before first use", so you are probably out of luck on this one.

Reply to
Tim Smith

LOL!

-- Oren

Oren

Life of the product.

-- Oren

Oren

about 25 years ago my best friend bought 2 true blue lifetime guaranteed car batteries from sunoco. 6 years later the batteries died, sunoco was oput of the battery business so they replaced the 2 batteries, and refunded the purchase price. well then the lawyers got involved and he has been getting free batteries every 5 years or so ever since. although these last 2 sunoco kinda told him this i the last freebie. i hope my friend 75 lives long enough to hassle them for another set.

this is the only lifetime warranty i know of thats still valid after so long.

yeah he still has the same vehicles after all these years. a 66 jeep and 68 impala both converted by him to run on compressed natural gas, he has a large war surplus compressor

Reply to
hallerb

That's happened to me, sucks.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Who put sand in your vagina?

Reply to
Terry

But it also has a "use by" date and you didn't use it by that date, thus voiding the warranty. Seems fair to me. Why should the manufacturer have to pay for your negligence?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a set of (front) brakes on my 01 Camry that have a lifetime warranty from Auto Zone. Of course every 3 years when I go in there is a newbie there who has to be instructed how to give me a new set. I plan on trying to give the 75 year old with the batteries a run for who the bigger cheapskate is.. ;/)

I'm 48 and I'm about 5 years into this one.. CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Terry wrote: ..

I also said it had a useful life and I would say that is its lifetime (while in the tube).

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The tube doesn't leak, does it?

Reply to