Cedar for workbench frame

I'm planning to build a workbench featured in the November 2001 issue of American Woodworker. The plans call for construction-grade pine for the frame. I have a lot of western red cedar on hand. Could I susbtitute the cedar for the pine?

Regards,

Benoit Evans

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

I wouldn't. Eastern red cedar I'd think about it. But western is too light and too soft.

If you do use it, double the height of stretchers etc.

Andy Dingley

I would look for a heavier wood, without a substantial base it will walk.

BRuce

K.-Benoit Evans wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

Cedar is too light as already mentioned but is also splits VERY easily. I have punched nails in the legs of my bench and vise bolts/screws and in general find that they take a beating. Pine is OK but I rate it at the lower end on suitable woods for a bench. It is affordable so that is why I use it.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey