Building a small workbench - Advice needed

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only

8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

I'm thinking a 2'x4' bench top would work well, but I am concerned the bench will be too light to work well. I like to dimension my own wood with hand planes, so I would like the bench to be pretty stable. It doesn't need a lot of accessories - just one vise on the front and a sliding stop on both ends.

Can anyone forsee any issues I may run into with a small workbench or does anyone have any advice concerning the weight issue?

Thanks, Richard

Richard

If you're concerned about the bench being too light, either anchor it to the wall and/or the floor, or add sand-bags or cement for weight. Stability doesn't have to come from a massive top.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Unfortunately, I'm not able to anchor it to either the wall or floor. I think using cement in the base would work well.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

The main part of my bench is 2'x4', but I have extensions on both the width and length so it's overall about 32"x60", but the legs are on the 2'x4'

I have a page about it here:

you have a small shop it's important to make use of the space under the bench. Why load it up with dead weight when you can load it up with tools and lumber?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Thanks for the help! It looks like you use the same clamping system I use :)

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I made my work bench out of 2 X 4. It consist of the top which is 24" X

48" plywood set into a 2X4 frame half lapped on the 4 inch dimensions.

There are two shelves made by setting plywood in to a 2X4 frames half lapped on the 2 inch dimension.

The legs are 2X4 half lapped around the shelves and top. The weight of the top and shelves is supported by the half lap on the leg.

The ends are enclosed for storage.

While this is not unique construction the workbench is on four wheels so it can be moved about the small shop so it is in the best position for the project that I am working on.

Additionally since it is a small shop, the height of the bench is the same as my table saw so it can be an out feed to support plywood or for ripping long boards.

The work bench is sturdy and with tools on the two shelves, and while it can be positioned for the project, it does not wander about the shop when you are working on it.

Richard wrote:

Reply to
keith_nuttle

you might want to consider putting a plate in it to allow you to convert it into a router table as well (if space is at a premium). The idea to make it the same height as the table saw (so it can be an infeed/outfeed table) is a good one. I have a big assembly table/bench permanently behind my table saw for an outfeed table. It's a good idea to make the outfeed table about 1/4" less in height than the table saw, IMO.

Reply to
bf

Thanks everyone! Good thinking about sizing it to work as an outfeed table for the tablesaw.

Richard

Reply to
Richard