Vise recommendation needed

I am ready to build my first workbench. I bought a Taunton book and will probably be making a 'traditional' style bench, but it will most likely have a MDF or similar top. Where I am stuck is the vise(s), is there a vise that someone can recommend that is between

don't think I need the quick release feature and I could easily be convinced to build the vise using a bench screw but they seem to be as high priced as the vises.

I don't expect this to be the last bench I build just one good enough to hold pieces firmly until I develop my skills. I want it to have a face vise and a tail vise or at least a sliding dog clamp (forgive the terminology). Trying to plane/scrape a 36x36 maple panel is the motivator for building this bench. It is amazing how easy it is to push a contractor saw with CI wings and a 2" thick Oak outfeed table with a No 4 plane.

Reply to
RayV

Well, I've got the cheapie you linked to, and it works just fine for a rookie like me. It is easy enough to make your own wooden or padded jaws to keep from damaging your workpiece.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Quick release:

?c=2&p=31137&cat=1,41659,41661&ap=1Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

between

and
I don't think I need the quick release feature and I could easily be

I got lucky and was given two vintage vises by a friend so I can't speak about new ones. But now that I've used both kinds I can say that the quick release is not a trivial thing to leave out. For some reason I end up needing the vise jaws far apart one minute and close together the next, just about constantly, and I sure got tired of cranking on that other vise before I replaced it with a quickrelease.

I think my bottom line recommendation is if your budget demands it go ahead and get the one without QR but I'd start saving quarters - or maybe watching ebay and craigslist - for a quickrelease vise because they save you a lot more work and time than you might think.

Oh, and if you're going to be installing it in an mdf top, glue a piece of solid wood underneath the mdf to mount the vise to. It'll hold the screws better.

Reply to
else24

between

and
I don't think I need the quick release feature and I could easily be

I have this one and I like it a lot. (Note the wood handle)

added soft maple pads. It's currently on my assembly bench. I plan to move it to an saw makin' area soon...

Reply to
Jeff

between

> and
> I don't think I need the quick release feature and I could easily be

(that should read, "saw dust makin' area")

Reply to
Jeff

I have two Record vises (too bad they're outa bizness); maybe you can find a used one. Jorgenson makes quick-release vises (as well as wonderful clamps). I have used one and liked it. The Wilton is probably good, too.

Reply to
bsa441

You definitely don't want the 20 buck Pony--I've got one and it's not even a good doorstop.

If you can afford 200 bucks spend another 20 and get one of these

between one of these
should do nicely.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"RayV" wrote in news:1173285416.139803.146020@

8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:

When I wanted to build my bench, there happened to be a Garrett Wade catalog on the desk. I bought theirs, for maybe $120 delivered. Not cheap, but it's lasted well so far, and should, for several more generations, both of people and benches.

I built a 'make this bench for $200' bench from Popular Woodworking, using kd construction lumber and cabinet ply for the top. Laminated three layers for the top, it's pretty solid. I built another couple of benches with similar structure, and 'oops' doors from the door shop. Really solid fire- rated mdf, with veneer on them. Easily worth the $10 I spent on each one.

The vise, a good one, will last, as far as you're concerned, 'forever'. A cheap one, not so much so. The rest is your choice.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I am ready to build my first workbench. I bought a Taunton book and will probably be making a 'traditional' style bench, but it will most likely have a MDF or similar top. Where I am stuck is the vise(s), is there a vise that someone can recommend that is between

and

Rick Samuel

If they are out of business, I wonder who makes them. You can still buy them here,

Leon

old one was waaaaaayyy to steep for my blood:

Swingman

Ray, I saw one recently that would probably fit that description ... I'm contemplating building it myself. It uses pipe clamps in lieu of standard vises and a 'v' arrangement for holding wood for working on the edge. You might want to look at it as an 'on the cheap' (but sturdy and versatile) alternative to massive European style benches.

MAY need a Taunton subscription. I decided it was worth the price of admission, YMMV.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

in planning

searching the archives came up with a countertop from IKEA that I may buy

RayV

Irwin bought Record and closed them pretty promptly. There's still plenty of old stock around in the UK though.

I wouldn't buy any woodworking vice except a Record, Paramo, Woden or Parkinson's Perfect of similar style. For the ones the OP posted, the first is just a joke - far too small, a bit flimsy, but mainly it doesn't have enough clearance between the guide bars and the ends of the jaws. It's just no use for anything beyond miniature-making.

The second is nice (single large guide bar gives more clearance) but it's also $200. You shouldn't pay less for a cheap copy, because single bar vices need to be well made or else they're rattletraps.

Since I built myself a bench with moving bench dogs in the top (with a bought-in steel vice screw in oak frames) then I've rarely used a vice for woodworking at all. The dogs are generally much better.

I've never bought a new woodworking vice. Round here old Records practically grow on trees. They survive well and old ones restore quite easily. New maple jaw faces are a good idea though (use MDF if you have to, but fit _something_).

I've also got any number of metalworking vices (literally ton quantities going for scrap in the past), but I have found myself buying Czech-made swivel-base or two-axis rotating vices, just because they're affordable, well made and more flexible than a classic English metalworking bench vice. Whatever you get, get some some vice jaws too (red fibre, plastic or even lead).

Get a vice with a wooden bar handle, not steel. If you do have heavy steel, wrap rubber bands around just before the end knobs. Your trapped fingers beneath a falling handle will thank you...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Lee Valley Tools sells front mounted metal vises. They appear to be a knock off of the Record vises and I can't comment on their quality, but considering the excellent customer service that LV provides, buying one of these maybe worthwhile Record replacements.

Upscale

only vice. A friend and I build his new bench a while back and fitted one. It;'s a great vice for all that twisty-turny stuff, but for day-in-day-out woodworking then it's just not as quick and convenient as a simple flat-jawed metal vice. You keep trying to put things in it straight, only to find the jaws have tilted on you or something. Rather than one handle, you're juggling three of them.

Maybe a Frank Klausz bench with moving dogs and a wooden vice, then one of these patternmakers' attached somewhere woould be ideal?

Reply to
Andy Dingley