Workbench Vise

I use two vises; for cutting wood, a carpenter's vise flush with the top of the bench, on the right corner, and a top mounted standard machinists vise about a foot in from the right corner, so it doesnt interfere with the wood vise. Both are essential for me, and for right handed folks, having the vices on the right are a real convenience.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Which side feels best to you? I ended up with one on each end, plus a pipe vise on another bench.

HTH, Pop

Reply to
Pop

Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

Reply to
John Smith

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
I R Baboon

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:11:14 GMT "I R Baboon" posted:

Do you ever lie back on it? Are you right-headed or left-headed?

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Reply to
Bennett Price

Just make sure you put it on the top of the workbench, i think everything else will work itself out.

Reply to
fish

Reply to
John Smith

I'm right handed and like the right side for the same reason.

Be sure to mount the vice so it's fixed jaw hangs slightly beyond the front edge of the bench, and if possible off the end edge too when swiveled.

This simple act makes the vise much more versatile, in that long material can hang down past the bench edge if necessary.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Interesting. I find it nice as a righty to have the vise on the left. Only because that's where all the vises were in the shop in high school and it just 'feels right'.

Reply to
C & M