Looking for Plywood Workbench plans

I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?

Help apreciated

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

To be honest, just do a Google search on it

and you'll get loads of ideas.

Barry

barry

A quick Google search returned 106,000 hits. You might find something in there. You could also hit the archives for "magazine index" and look up the article there. I posted the URL last week, so it may still be on your server.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

check out this plan that was featured in Fine Woodworking #181 "Tools & Shops Annual Issue"

Bob C

Thanks very much Bob that was the one I saw and was trying to find. Much appreciated

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Thanks Roy,

I tryed that one first but didn't have much luck

Bob has found it.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Thanks barry

Been there, done that, got swamped.

BTW Like your site

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Jerome,

I see you found what you are looking for, but I made a mostly plywood based workbench from plans from American WW mag. I am extremely happy with it. I posted pics on abpw. If you are interested I could dig up the issue.

Dave

Reply to
David Bridgeman

That would be very kind. A few scans or photos would put the icing on the cake.

I do read abpw but only for the last 6 months to year.

I plan on making a torsion box top with bench stop holes (needed for the new toy "a domino") with a plywwod laminated base frame.

This should do for the next 3~5 years until I build my final, only, purpose built 15M x 8M workshop

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Dang! A workshop that is 15 miles by 8 miles?? :-)

Wayne

Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

You would have plenty of room to stop though ;-)

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

NoOne N Particular wrote in news:2Ybgi.15971 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

That sure gives new meaning to the phrase, "Ah darn, it's on the other side of the shop."

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The issue was American Woodworker Dec/Jan 2006.

Reply to
DLB

Wow, I feel dumb, I thought he was talking about 15 and 8 REAL nice feeet, like mmmmm.

Reply to
Neillarson

Laminated plywood workbench base

with influence from Fine Woodworking #181, Bob C and others.

Small medium and full size Pictures

of the aims of this bench is to be massive when assembled but able to be knocked down and moved by one person. This is looking good at this point, the heaviest pieces are the ends at 12.5 kg and at this point it is about 50 kg (US 110 lbs) when I get a permanent top for it and cupboards under loaded with tools, I expect it will reach 150 kg

With too few clamps an average temp of 29C and humidity about 80% plus and having to squat on the floor to use a circular saw to rip the ply. The bench base took about 9 days to make.

I looked at various ways to make the mortices for the tenons and found that cling-film made the perfect covering for the spacer blocks

Studding (US all-thread?) is unobtainable without a lot of effort (and a

120 km drive), so I made do with 200 mm carriage bolts (10 Baht each). As the bolt heads would have too small a bearing surface in wood and would just pull through when tightened. I got some 38 mm wide steel strip, drilled a hole a little oversize for the shank, then used a big hammer to partly seat the square under the head to prevent the bolt spinning when tightened.

This meant that the bolts had to be captive. So as the horizontals were laminated from 5 strips of 20 mm ply I could cut into two of them to shape the hole. this was left open at one side to allow the bolt to be pushed home. The cutouts were designed to be slightly oversized to avoid binding, this has also meant that the workbench horizontals can float a little so the location of the bolt holes in the end pieces is not critical. I am thinking of using unglued dominos as locating pins to make assembly easier

The end pieces have 8 mm screwed inserts to allow feet to adjust for uneven floors

the bottom horizontals have a slimmer 5th section (size governed by the spare cutoff I had) this for the moment is used for a shelf but will be used to locate and locked-in lockable cupboards, they will be removable if the ends are unbolted but not just lift out. I am not sure yet if they will be full hight, a reason to make them a little under full hight would be for wood dust removal.

Future work Dominos to locate the horizontals Foot pads to go under the metal leveling screw feet Locked-in locking cupboards at least 2, this will make them about 60 cm wide Bench top. I have the ply and MDF cut to a rough size for one but am also thinking of making a second torsion box one.

Costs so far

20 mm ply sheets 2 @ 730 Baht 200 mm carriage bolts 8 @10 Baht steel strips 8 @ 5 Baht 20 mm MDF 1 @ 630 Baht screwed inserts 4 @ 105 Yen screwed feet 4 @ 150 Yen Polyurethane 250 ml 250 Baht 2775 Baht $81.64 £40.82 ¥9,572 1 USD =34 Baht 1 GBP =68 Baht 1 EUR =46 Baht 100 JPY =29 Baht
Reply to
Jerome Meekings