Looking for plans...

I am looking for plans for a garbage box for by my drive way. Some people who live in more rural areas may know what I am. Something simple, but I need someting b/c garbage collection is every 2 weeks and I don't have shed yet, and it is making my basement smell :-(

Any plans that one has access to, it would be great if you could pass those along.

Thanks, have a good day everyone

Reply to
Jon

"Jon" wrote in message news:nBcJe.71206$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

The fact that you are looking for plans tells me you haven't built much before. That, and the price of the appropriate moisture-resistant materials, leads me to suggest you look first at the prices of one of the plastic snap-together things from Rubbermaid, or similar. (see example at

)Most of the big-box stores and garden centers carry them. That will provide you a comparison point to think about when you price out the lumber and shingles and such. If you decide to build from scratch, much will depend on size or your trash cans, and the location you want to put the thing. Most areas, unless you have an alley, you can't put it by the end of the driveway- it has to be up by garage/house. If you don't have a paved surface to put it on, you will need to put down pavement, paver blocks, or at least well-drained gravel. (Unless you want a raised floor, which means lifting the full cans down on pickup day.) Metal cans rust, and plastic cans freeze to the ground. Don't put untreated lumber in contact with dirt, and allow plenty of airflow with vents, or a gap at bottom. As to design, it depends how completely you want to hide them. In many areas, just a 3-sided fence the height of the cans, plus maybe a roof if you get snow, is common. Also common is a couple of well-placed shrubs to hide them from street/neighbors. If you want free-standing, sink 4 posts and build a tiny shed around them, with a sloped and shingled roof, and a big door for access.

Keep in mind, in some areas, especially if you have an HOA or CCRs on your deed, there may be requirements for permits, and approved styles for permanently-attached utility structures like this. Plastic prefab 'temporary' structures are often ignored, since they aren't considered part of the house.

Personally, I'd just get a big rolling bin, and leave it out in the weather.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

(snip) OOPs, forgot to bracket that URL. Try this-

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

In some rural areas I have travelled through I noticed a large number of chest freezers by the side of the road. Never thought much about it - high failure rate or something. Took me a while but people use these as garbage bins. Pretty critter proof.

You could probably find someone who will pay YOU to remove one, take the money & buy some Tremclad & put it at the end of the lane. If you are artistic you could airbrush a picture of winged horses pulling a golden chariot full of garbage cans to the heavens.

Cheers

Reply to
Ray

On 8/7/2005 4:07 AM US(ET), ameijers took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Still broken. Next time try

which will create a message friendly short url for long urls, such as
for the one you posted.

Reply to
willshak

On 8/7/2005 9:21 AM US(ET), Ray took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

A couple of caveats. Most jurisdictions require the doors to be removed from refrigerators and freezers when placed outside the house where children may climb into them. Also the garbage removers will have to lift cans out of the chest freezers which will require more exertion on their part. Thirdly, if the garbage collecting service has those robot arm trash collecting trucks, or go to them, they won't be able to remove the cans from the chest. Any storage box for garbage cans should have an opening top and an opening front. The top will keep out rain, snow, and critters and still allow adding more garbage. The opening front will allow the garbage collectors to slide the cans out of the box without the extra lifting.

Reply to
willshak