I have a TS with a Danfoss magnetic switch which I have just upgraded
with a used 1.5 HP motor.
Yesterday I was testing it by ripping some boards down. After a minute
or two the motor would shut down. I plugged the motor directly into
an outlet, ripped some wood, and the motor worked fine.
I opened up the switch and noticed a plastic bar that could move over
a index from 2-16.
Any idea what this is used for?
The TS is on a dedicated 20A breaker and the motor draws 16A.
Actually, what you have is probably known as a motor-starter,
a self-latching relay _with_heaters_in_series_with_output_.
In many cases, you'd select the heaters to match the max draw.
When properly sized, they'd allow starting surge, and trip overloads
when draw exceeded rating by x% for y or more msec.
Maybe you have adjustable overload/heaters? Since this does
impact your personal safety and that of your neighbors (from fire),
it'd be a Good Thing to understand how it works, and make it
Like: ask mfg. and/or DAGS. Or ask at local electrical supply
house where you bought it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.