Correct setting for a Danfoss magnetic switch.

Hi,

I have a TS with a Danfoss magnetic switch which I have just upgraded with a used 1.5 HP motor.

Yesterday I was testing it by ripping some boards down. After a minute or two the motor would shut down. I plugged the motor directly into an outlet, ripped some wood, and the motor worked fine.

I opened up the switch and noticed a plastic bar that could move over a index from 2-16.

Any idea what this is used for?

The TS is on a dedicated 20A breaker and the motor draws 16A.

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
alex

Actually, what you have is probably known as a motor-starter, a self-latching relay _with_heaters_in_series_with_output_.

In many cases, you'd select the heaters to match the max draw. When properly sized, they'd allow starting surge, and trip overloads when draw exceeded rating by x% for y or more msec.

Maybe you have adjustable overload/heaters? Since this does impact your personal safety and that of your neighbors (from fire), it'd be a Good Thing to understand how it works, and make it work safely.

Like: ask mfg. and/or DAGS. Or ask at local electrical supply house where you bought it.

barry