Gluing cedar

Acetone will cleanup the oils so that you get a good bond. Yellow will work , just wipe with aceton, let it air dry 1 minute or 2 then glue.. either yellow or epoxy. Like Lew said low temps are generally not good for any glue..

Reply to
woodchucker

I've not had problems gluing eastern red cedar (juniper)... I cut the trees down, sawed them, dried the boards for 1-8 years before use, and glued them with yellow glue.

A question/thought.

Was the dry joint tight enough that it could have essentially wiped the glue off as the pieces were pressed together during assembly?

I'm thinking that if the dry fit was tight and the wood very dry that perhaps you needed to apply glue to all glue surfaces of both boards so that glue was in fact in the joint when it was pressed together. By coating all surfaces of both boards the glue would have time to soak in to both boards a bit prior to assembly and not leave you with a glue starved joint.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Hi John,

That's a great point. I'm going to try acetone, warmer temps, and more and better spread glue. Appreciate the input from everyone.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote: Hi John,

------------------------------------------------------- Given proper surface prep, properly fitted joints, adequate clamping, and temps above 60F, about the only real advantage of epoxy over yellow glue is open pot time.

Yellow glue has about 10 minutes at best while laminating epoxy with slow hardener has at least 25 min at 77F.

Glad to see you learned your lesson about Gorilla glue.

IMHO, it is garbage.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

FWIW, I took some cut-off sections of the joined shelf boards I made and bent then until they broke. They broke in the middle of the board and not at the glue joint, as I've experienced with every other species with which I've done this same experiment.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I bought a flat bed load of western (mill pond) cedar back in the late

70's and I still have some. I've used both epoxy and titebond and never had problems. It was all rough lumber so was always jointed and planed prior to gluing. Never used acetone and always had good luck cedar will definitely break before the glue joint. More then likely the low temperature is at fault.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I have been gluing western red cedar for years with yellow glue and urethane glue. Never had a problem. But keep it warm for the first 24 hours.

Reply to
EXT

Try roughing up with glasspaper, keeping away from the edges, gives you a strong key for the glue.

Wipe down with acetone, allow to dry then apply glue

Reply to
steve robinson