Question about gluing

I need to re-glue a dado joint on a bench made of rock maple. It looks like it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

ke it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I wo= uld guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

If by dado joint you mean you have a cross-grain groove cut into a board in= to which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a shelf i= nto a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero long g= rain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. I'd try to figure out why= the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you try to = reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use epoxy. JP

Reply to
JayPique

Reply to
steve robinson

was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

The type of glue was probably not so much the problem as is the way it was applied.

If you are gluing lo9ng grain across the grain the natural expansion and contraction of the wood will cause a glue joint to fail if the wood does not expand at the same rate on both sides of the joint.

A common practice is to only glue one end of the joint and allow the wood to slip in the joint with climate changes and natural expansion and contraction.

Or use a mechanical fastener like a nut, bolt, and washer through over sized holes to allow for the expansion.

Reply to
Leon

it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a shelf into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero long grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. I'd try to figure out why the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you try to reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use epoxy.

Reply to
tiredofspam

like it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I = would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

into which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a shelf= into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero long= grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. I'd try to figure out w= hy the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you try t= o reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use epoxy.

It's end grain to long grain. Two four feet long (1 X 8s) are dadoed into a= single vertical flat piece that serves as the sides of the box and the leg= s. I really can't tell why the joint failed. All the others seem tight and = well done.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a shelf into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero long grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. I'd try to figure out why the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you try to reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use epoxy.

single vertical flat piece that serves as the sides of the box and the legs. I really can't tell why the joint failed. All the others seem tight and well done.

Expansion and contraction made the joint fail. Glue one end of the joint, not the whole length, to allow for expansion and contraction.

Reply to
Leon

s like it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, = I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

rd into which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a sh= elf into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero l= ong grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. I'd try to figure ou= t why the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you tr= y to reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use epo= xy.

to a single vertical flat piece that serves as the sides of the box and the= legs. I really can't tell why the joint failed. All the others seem tight = and well done.

What kind of glue would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

like it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

into which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a shelf into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero long grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. I'd try to figure out why the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you try to reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use epoxy.

single vertical flat piece that serves as the sides of the box and the legs. I really can't tell why the joint failed. All the others seem tight and well done.

1) Saw/plane/joint the two edges to remove -all- of the old glue. (It won't work otherwise, and you can ask anyone who has ever tried to reglue chair legs for that statistic) 2) Throw a bisquit or three in the edges for strength, then glue with Titebond I or II if inside, Titebond III if used outside. (Then pray. ;)

-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

like it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

into which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a shelf into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero long grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. I'd try to figure out why the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you try to reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use epoxy.

single vertical flat piece that serves as the sides of the box and the legs. I really can't tell why the joint failed. All the others seem tight and well done.

Epoxy if you want to just glue from where you are at now. Or more yellow glue if you take the wood back to bare surfaces again, void of glue residue.

And addendum to glueing one end, if wood movement is not critical and you can also simply glue the middle section of the joint and let the to outer edges move in and out. If you want a particular edge to remain in registration with another, glue that location and let the opposite edge/end do the moving.

Reply to
Leon

s like it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping, = I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestions?

d into which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a she= lf into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero lo= ng grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. =A0I'd try to figure o= ut why the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you t= ry to reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use ep= oxy.

a single vertical flat piece that serves as the sides of the box and the l= egs. I really can't tell why the joint failed. All the others seem tight an= d well done.

Racking stress. Reinforce with a cleat.

Reply to
Father Haskell

oks like it was originally glued with yellow wood glue. Even after scraping= , I would guess that yellow wood glue is not my best option. Any suggestion= s?

ard into which another board sits with the same grain orientation (like a s= helf into a groove in the side of a bookcase) then you have basically zero = long grain to long grain gluing surface to begin with. =A0I'd try to figure= out why the joint failed in the first place, but my suggestion is that you= try to reinforce the joint with biscuits or dowels or even screws and use = epoxy.

to a single vertical flat piece that serves as the sides of the box and the= legs. I really can't tell why the joint failed. All the others seem tight = and well done.

I think that's probably the case. I'm going to use epoxy since I don't want= to cut back on the tight-fitting dado. Thanks everyone for the good inform= ation.

Mike

Reply to
Michael