Anti-creep mat

Looking for something to place underneath a mat (decent weight wool) to stop it moving around on the wool carpet it lies upon. It does only move slowly but it would be good to stop even that.

Have seen lots of things that claim to do this - sprays, tapes, underlays - but there is nothing like a recommendation.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , polygonum writes

We had a couple of offcuts *edged* by J. Lewis. They wander several inches per day.

I assume the carpet they lie on acts as a sort of ratchet.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The mat is actually a properly made one - but I think you are right.

Reply to
polygonum

When you find it let me know as well. I have a fire mat, well a mat in front of the fire and it walks up into a big wrinkle in no time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Four screws through the carpet and into the floor. Four washers with one edge sown to the underside of the mat. Hook the washers over the screw threads.

That's how my parents first hall, stairs and landing carpet was fitted.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

We had the same basic idea in the house I grew up in, except that dad used press-studs. Nowadays I guess it would be velcro.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

My current house had all the fitted carpets installed like that (albeit using nails rather than screws); in fact I took the last such carpet to the dump last weekend, as it happens

David

Reply to
Lobster

We have the same problem. We have the double sided tape stuff. If you use it, one important point I have discovered. You have to stick it on in a place where you actually put your foot. This keeps it stuck down. Otherwise it comes unstuck very quickly.

And some tape is a lot better than others. (ie stays stuck)

Reply to
harry

Ikea STOPP

The Other Mike

I have a couple of rugs in the house that "walk". We put up with it mostly, but the mat inside the front door walks toward the door. This means that after a few ins and outs it actually catches in the door and prevents closing. Of course as Sod's Law dictates that has to happen when you are coming in loaded with several bags of shopping.

That mat is fix as others have recommended and is screwed down. I used brass screws and cup washers so it does not look hiddeous.

Al

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

I can recommend what we got from a carpet shop. It comes as a thin sheet which is slightly sticky to the touch on both sides, and although it *can* be lifted and re-positioned after application they recommend that you don't (presumably because it loses some 'stickiness'). It was expensive - and unfortunately I don't know what it's called - but it's the only stuff I've ever tried which really does stop a mat creeping across a carpet.

Richard.

Richard Russell

Miraculously I've just found the original wrapper: it's called 'Multigrip', made in the USA but distributed in the UK by these people:

as a 1.2m x 1.8m sheet that you cut to size, and then peel off the backing.

Richard.

Richard Russell

general searches, etc. Found myself in a carpet shop today and saw something very like what you describe. Bought some. Now got to take to mother's house and see if it works!

Reply to
polygonum

It might be intended for that but it works with rugs on carpets. We found a need to buy a new one every two or three years as it eventually loses its stickyness.

Reply to
The Other Mike

We tried that (or maybe a previous incarnation) - found it got scruffled up over time and stopped being effective. Thanks.

Reply to
polygonum

Ours says 'Guaranteed 5 years' but I rather suspect that doesn't mean the mat is guaranteed not to move for five years!

Richard.

Richard Russell

Applying a thin layer with a scraper, pushing it in somewhat, of a soft silicone should do the same thing for less.

NT

Reply to
meow2222