OT Yes the creep keeps rising and you cannot stop it

Self-driving cars, or some subset of such, is a definite possibility. Mass transit, not a chance. No one wants it and there is no money to pay for it if they did.

Oh, good grief, that's dumb! What's the cost of that?

Reply to
krw

From the article, I get the impression that you pay a monthly fee, then just stick your card in, take the keys and drive! Pay by the minute. I think there will be no paperwork once one is "enrolled". Just bills..lol

Reply to
Bill

I'm sure that it was sold with the understanding that the users will pay very little. The government will be paying the lions share of the expense. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Which is why I used the word "cost". ;-)

Reply to
krw

He may be talking about a rental setup like Zip Car where the car is parked on the street, not at a rental office.

OTOH, it may be a good idea to buy shares in a car. It has been done with aircraft for years giving you a certain number of hours use. In a big city it could work for the occasional driver..

I don't lend my car to anyone, even family.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Two possibilities

  2. Buy shares, just as aircraft owners often do.

Works for the occasional user, not the daily commuter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 13:18:24 -0500, Leon

It's already in operation.

none

To satisfy my geek gene weekly I watch the TWIT podcast (This Week In Tech).

I am surprised at the number of participants in the high tech business, most in their twenties and early thirties, who routinely use services like Zipcar and Airbnb as a matter of course.

Reply to
Swingman

If you're an OCCAISIONAL user of the appliance, it sometimes makes sense to lease it. If the taxpayer gets involved, it makes sense more often.

That's what it's being sold as here. ...just grab one from the pool and drive off - not going to work.

Reply to
krw

And apparently you still have to reserve the zipcar.

Reply to
Leon

What I *don't* need is a time-share car. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I don't see the advantage to a regular rental car other than not having to be fill it for the next person.

Reply to
Leon

I just checked, and they have a Toyota pickup truck in their car "line-up". If they put a stand at Menards and Home Depot, and I'll use it.

Reply to
Bill

LOCATION (walking distance to schools, hotels, downtown, Home Depot (maybe), etc.).

Reply to
Bill

snip 8><

Well, I may be a creep but nothing is rising.

Reply to
G. Ross

It costs about $75 if the car is kept for 24 hours, so a rental would mostly likely be cheaper. To a marketing person, it's a totally different product than a rental car.

Reply to
Bill

Except that you do.

Reply to
krw

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Menards will rent you a Ford pickup (at least around here) for something like $20 for 75 minutes. Good enough to get a refrigerator home, but something loose and bulky like landscape stone might take longer to load and unload.

I haven't needed to rent one yet, but just the plates for a year in IL will cost you 5 times the rental cost of the truck. Add insurance and you can rent the truck 10-20 times before it's cheaper than owning one.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes, Home Depot used to have a deal where if you spent over $100 you could have an hour of truck rental for free. But when I last asked about it no one there knew what I was talking about.

Reply to
Bill

Lowes doesn't charge for appliance delivery. For building materials, they also have trucks (bigger than a pickemup) for about the same $20.

Not as often as I use my truck. ;-) ...and I need a vehicle anyway.

Reply to
krw