OT Yes the creep keeps rising and you cannot stop it

Page 3 of 4
On 9/24/2013 2:18 PM, Leon wrote:

He may be talking about a rental setup like Zip Car where the car is parked on the street, not at a rental office.
OTOH, it may be a good idea to buy shares in a car. It has been done with aircraft for years giving you a certain number of hours use. In a big city it could work for the occasional driver..
I don't lend my car to anyone, even family.

It's already in operation. http://www.zipcar.com/

To satisfy my geek gene weekly I watch the TWIT podcast (This Week In Tech).
I am surprised at the number of participants in the high tech business, most in their twenties and early thirties, who routinely use services like Zipcar and Airbnb as a matter of course.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 9/25/2013 9:44 AM, Swingman wrote:

I just checked, and they have a Toyota pickup truck in their car "line-up". If they put a stand at Menards and Home Depot, and I'll use it.

Menards will rent you a Ford pickup (at least around here) for something like $20 for 75 minutes. Good enough to get a refrigerator home, but something loose and bulky like landscape stone might take longer to load and unload.
I haven't needed to rent one yet, but just the plates for a year in IL will cost you 5 times the rental cost of the truck. Add insurance and you can rent the truck 10-20 times before it's cheaper than owning one.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper wrote:

Yes, Home Depot used to have a deal where if you spent over $100 you could have an hour of truck rental for free. But when I last asked about it no one there knew what I was talking about.
On 26 Sep 2013 22:00:09 GMT, Puckdropper

Lowes doesn't charge for appliance delivery. For building materials, they also have trucks (bigger than a pickemup) for about the same $20.

IL will

Not as often as I use my truck. ;-) ...and I need a vehicle anyway.

Self-driving cars, or some subset of such, is a definite possibility. Mass transit, not a chance. No one wants it and there is no money to pay for it if they did.

Oh, good grief, that's dumb! What's the cost of that?

I'm sure that it was sold with the understanding that the users will pay very little. The government will be paying the lions share of the expense. LOL

Which is why I used the word "cost". ;-)

Two possibilities 1. http://www.zipcar.com/ 2. Buy shares, just as aircraft owners often do.
Works for the occasional user, not the daily commuter.

If you're an OCCAISIONAL user of the appliance, it sometimes makes sense to lease it. If the taxpayer gets involved, it makes sense more often.

That's what it's being sold as here. ...just grab one from the pool and drive off - not going to work.

And apparently you still have to reserve the zipcar.

What I *don't* need is a time-share car. ;-)

I don't see the advantage to a regular rental car other than not having to be fill it for the next person.
On 9/25/2013 11:30 PM, Leon wrote:

LOCATION (walking distance to schools, hotels, downtown, Home Depot (maybe), etc.).
Bill wrote:

It costs about $75 if the car is kept for 24 hours, so a rental would mostly likely be cheaper. To a marketing person, it's a totally different product than a rental car.

Except that you do.

You only have to fill it, according to the web site, if the tank goes below 1/4. You do not pay for gas separately, it is included in the hourly price of renting along with insurance.

Ah, I missed that. I thought it was a standard rental. I rented a car a couple of weeks ago (will do it again next week). I had to put[*] 2-1/2 gallons of gas in it, at $4.09/gallon (Lew should love that data point ;).
[*] Boss had to pay ;-)