OT: Wood Fence Installation

Hi all,
I enjoy reading your discussion group on a weekly basis. I was hoping you might be able to help this little old lady (well, young at heart!) with a few suggestions.
I am going to have a 6ft wood fence built across the back of my lot. I'm not sure what questions I should be asking fence contractors when they come out for estimates (other than the obvious--license & bonded)?
Any ideas on what I should be asking?
Thank-you, Meg
P.S. Anyone have any experience putting in a block wall instead of a wood fence? I've got questions about that too. :-)

What type materials do they use? Pressure treated, Cedar etc. How much they charge per linear foot? Do they replace all posts? How many Rails do they use between posts? 3 is preferred. Do thy use a pressure treated board horizontally along the ground to protect the bottom of the pickets from the morning dew on the grass? This also is preferred. Do they set the new posts in concrete? Location may dictate another method of anchoring the post in the ground. Do they haul off the old fence material.
Call your local municipality to see if they require a fence permit (often with a survey) and inspections before you hire just anyone. If they do, they may license the fence contractors, which could be to your benefit.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:53:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

One question would be how many horizonal 2x4s they'll use between the posts, 2 or 3 and is one of them opposing with respect to the other 2? When I built mine (cedar) I did 3ea 2x's where the top & bottom 4" side was laid horiz and the center has the 4" side vert. It's been up for 25 years now and does not have one bit of sag. If they use 2 its bound to sag in the middle of each 8' segment. I asked a lot of questions before I built mine and this was one that almost everyone mentioned. Grandpa John
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Thank-you to : Leon, Swingman, Bob, John Deboo, and anyone else I may have missed. :-)
I appreciate the replies and the advice! I'm making calls tomorrow and checking contractor licenses out. Fun fun fun!
Best Regards, Meg