diy/home owner discussion group ?

I seem to remember there is another discussion group that was fairly active and geared more towards diy/home owners but I can't remember the details. Can someone point me to it? I have some questions about a 1 1/2 ton heat pump. Thanks.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Try usenet alt.home.repair

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks, I'll do that. Any hvac experts that want to help will find my questions there. I'll keep checking here in case there are other forum suggests as well.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I'm a fairly new HVAC tech, installed for about six years. Nearly no experience with heat pumps. That said, I'm happy to answer any questions you throw my way.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble. On the WEB, go to: V

There, you'll get good information without the BS

Reply to
HankG

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this because the protocol is not associated with any known program".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

About 3/4 of the way down the page. "How to fix a motor". Tells me:

"Your small electric motor works by having electricity flow through bare wires to generate magnetism. This magnetism rotates a motor shaft. Motors can go bad and need repairs. Repairing a motor can be complex, but it's not so bad if you follow simple."

Hey, I'm so happy to find that motors use bare wires. Now, I can take all that left over ground wire I've got, and wrap it into motor windings. Don't have to worry about insulation or anything.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And, how's this one? ======================= By their nature, a furnace will remove the moisture from the area that it heats. When the circulated air from the living space flows over and through the heat exchanger, any moisture may be "flashed off" by the contact of the hot metal tubes. To replace... =======================

Wow, a running heat furnace removes moisture? So, at the end of the 15 year life span, I have this big furnace full of moisture that it removed? With nutty advice and incorrect loony tunes like this, I'm not eager to read any more of this web page.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Things You'll Need: a.. Screwdriver b.. Vacuum c.. Soft brush attachment d.. Filter a.. Step 1: Shut off the electrical power to the unit before you begin. b.. Step 2: Start outside by cleaning the condenser. Unscrew and remove the metal box on the outside of the unit. Be careful not to bump the metal blades as they are easily bent. c.. Step 3: Vacuum the metal blades, known as fins, using a soft brush attachment. You'll see debris such as leaves, dirt, grass and cottonwood, all of which block the airflow and reduce the air conditioner's ability to cool. d.. Step 4: Unscrew the fan to vacuum further inside the condenser. You can't remove it since it is wired in, but you can lift it a bit in order to clean more thoroughly. e.. Step 5: Replace the fan and the outer box and move indoors to clean the evaporator inside the house. f.. Step 6: Locate the evaporator which is usually found inside a metal duct close to the blower. Vacuum its fins the same way you cleaned the fins on the condenser. g.. Step 7: Clean the blower using the same vacuum attachment and then replace the filter. Turn the power back on and test the unit. ======================================== You have just simply got to be kidding. Locate the evaporator, and vacuum it? This web site is really going to make more money for us HVAC techs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A blonde moved into a new housing development. So new, that the fire department map didn't show the street. They day they moved in, she managed to burn the food on the stove. So, she calls the fire department. The conversation went a bit like t his:

FD: Fire department. What is your emergency? Blonde: My stove is on fire! FD: What is your adress, maam? Blonde: 123 Birdbrain Lane. FD: (sounding a bit confused) How do we get there? Blonde: In a big red truck, d'uh.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon