2, 2.5, 3, OR 4 TON FOR HOUSE?

Can I get by with a 2.5 ton CHAC for a 1500 sq ft home?

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Sure.

Reply to
.p.jm.

That depends on so many factors. I havn't got time to even begin the list of things we'd need to know. You should ask several HVAC install and service companies, near to you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It depends on how much insulation you have in the walls and attic and what kind of windows you have

Reply to
Big Bob

And a few other things. Like 'define 'get by'.

Reply to
.p.jm.

!!!

I am currently feeding 16 dogs and 2 cats. I run my own shelter now for 25 years.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I put in a 3 T for 1800 sf, so I figured 2.5 T should cover 1500 sf. I found one for $1500. Now, I will look for an installer.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

!!!

Exellent !!! :-)

For that, I shall be nice and try to help you :-)

One important thing you haven't mentioned is where you live. The local climate makes all the difference. Florida vs Canada are two different worlds, HVAC-wise.

Reply to
.p.jm.

WOW! Thanks.

I live in California but haven't used CHAC much but my shelter needs frequent air exchanges to prevent kennel cough because my numbers are high until I find the dogs qualified homes.

My regular guy came out last year, explained that water had penetrated the housing. I paid him $600 and he put in a new motor and fixed the openings. I found the unit did not work for heat last winter. Last Friday, my guy's kid came out and said that water had rusted inside the unit. He greased it and charged me $80 telling me that I needed to pay him $6000 to replace the unit. Well, $6000 will feed a lot of foster animals and pay a lot of vet bills.

So, I found a fairly new 2.5 tone unit for $1500 so I figured I would hire someone to hang it. Since 3 ton is suitable for 1800 sf rental I have, I figured 2.5 ton is suitable for 1500 sf house I live in.

Now, I need to figure out who in Sacramento will help our shelter and erect the unit..........

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Without betting into the usual suggestion of having a load calc done, etc, you're probably on the right track, or close enough.

Try talking to local vets, shelters, etc, see if they can recommend anyone who gives you a break because it's a shelter.

Having it installed RIGHT will make a big difference. If you ask around enough, you may find someone sympathetic to cut you a break. Do NOT let 'The Mexican Mafia' do it !

Good luck !

Reply to
.p.jm.

Okay, so I don't go to Home Depot and pick up a day worker :)

Since things are working, I have "time" go keep my eyes open and scout around for an answer. I think my tenant is an electrician who "knows" folks. I may ask him.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I am NOT kidding. Craigs List has a new 2.5 Ton in the box unit for $500 right here in town. Plus, he has people who can install.

Wow!!!

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Do they mention whos' truck it fell off ?

Run, do not walk, from that one !

Reply to
.p.jm.

Folks, I live no where near there! Honest!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Where was it stolen from??

Reply to
Steve

I asked exactly "why so cheap?" And he said he was closing out inventory. He is a licensed running business. It is "in the box". I wonder if it has been sitting in the warehouse a long time :(

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Post the brand and model and serial here, maybe someone can tell you how old it is.

Reply to
.p.jm.

It is likely from a promotion GMC Mfg. was running last year. If he's a licensed contractor, and, wanting to remove any old stock, it might be a good deal. Equipment kept indoors doens't age rapidly like bread. It's likely R-22 which is being phased out soon.

As for the installation, be sure who you hire "knows." If you just have it placed, taped and wired, it'll cost you dearly in excessive energy use over the life of the equipment.

Good luck!

Reply to
Zyp

Buy it now..It no doubt a valuable antique.

Reply to
Don Ocean

The $500 unit was a split system, and I am set up for a package unit. So, the deal is OFF :)

I did speak with a contractor at the house last night, and he explained how I could get a tax rebate of up to $1500 by buying a better unit, etc. He really didn't want to go there (he explained people aren't spending like that) but the choices are:

a. 4 T 75,000 BHU 13 seer is $4,895; or, b. 4 T ____ BHU 15.5 seer is $6,895 (rebate up to $1,500)

You end up paying $500 for a much better unit. Why wouldn't you??

Since I am in no hurry my unit is working, I will wait until the quieter time of the season and bring folks out again. I may get a better offer.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN