2-Ton Mini Split System?

I want to install a 2-ton Mini-Split ductless system in my garage/workshop. It's a 3-car garage with insulated walls, ceiling, and doors, approximately 660 sq ft with 11-ft ceilings. It has been recommended that I look for a unit with an SEER rating of 15 or better, but I can't seem to locate one.

Any suggestions? I'm near Sacramento CA

Thanks!

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

I believe WW Grainger sells them.

You also may have to go through a HVAC contractor.

Would it be easier just to put in a window unit(s)?

Reply to
Moe Jones

You're going about it kind of backwards. Instead of deciding on the system first, decide on the installer first. Call a couple local companies and get them out to give you an estimate.

If you call a company and tell them you want a particular system installed, you might just get it. But that doesn't mean you'll get a good result. Quit being over controlling. Let them size up the job, check heat load, and let you know what they reccomend.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ebay is your friend.

valvejob

Do not worry about the SEER rating 13 or 14 SEER will work okay. Do Not oversize the AC. I cool perfectly around 850 to

900-sq.ft. at up to 104 Heat Index in a 1930's home with a mere Half-Ton 6,000-BTUH window unit.
udarrell

15 SEER or better.... LOL
Reply to
<kjpro

Same guy probably walks into a diner with two refrigerated eggs in one hand, and four strips of uncooked bacon in the other..... and asks.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Funny, don&#39;t see the owner of my local diner WHINING about me buying bacon and eggs at the store

God, not that you are personally a major culprit here, but this crap is almost exclusive to the HVAC guys.

A guy is asking a question about mini splits and he has to get the buy it from the AC contractor BS.

First, if the local AC guys had a decent supply chain, instead of buying whatever the local warehouse carries at whatever price their lousy supply chain charges, then this wouldn&#39;t be a problem. Add to that the you have to pay a deposit up front for the honor of paying a high markup. I mean, its not even that they are making that much damn money, but they are effectively paying retail, then marking it up.

You then have the honor of watching his 10 dollar an hour apprentice lay into your home with a sawzall and a framing hammer.

My builder had no problem building my house charging materials to my account at my lumberyard

My electrician installed all my fancy dancy light fixtures without a peep

My plumber took my money and smiled when he plumbed my bathrooms and installed my fixtures

Should you install some yard sale equipment for cheap and listen to complaints that it doesn&#39;t work? Hell no. Should you complain about the money you will get paid to install name brand equipment at your full shop rate, knowing full well you will get paid again if something goes wrong? That would be up to you.

Again, nothing personal, but at some point it just gets unseemly when people protect their profit margin at the expense of the customer

BTW you can get a 2 ton 16 SEER Mitsubishi from ACwholesalers.com for less than 1600 bucks delivered.

Reply to
yourname

It also gets tiring listening to people bitch about paying "full shop rate". Maybe, just maybe, if they would remove their heads from their asses, they could realize that it&#39;s not the same as working in a factory and taking home a &#39;paycheck&#39;.

Reply to
<kjpro

Absolutely

Of course I might bitch because HVAC guys[and plumbers and electricians] get a shop rate very close to or sometimes higher than mine and I have a half million in capital equipment and stock and employees and........

but that&#39;s just being bitter about not choosing the right vocation

Reply to
yourname

Ok, so you do see the whole picture. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro