OT: What good are the random searches in NY?

Page 4 of 5

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Ever heard of a bomb sniffing machine such as the one I watched my luggage go through at the airport last week??? No need for profiling. The young European Woman didn't bring down the plane; the bomb did. That's what technology is for: locating the bombs. Police frisking people at random and then letting those who refuse is a total waste of time. IF the police would detain anyone who refused, that would be a different story.
Dave
David wrote:

So why not sniff the passengers for bombs?

Agreed.
Agreed. If police are allowed to detain people for refusing to be searched then the story is that we are no longer a free people.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Me thinks you are oversimplifying when you say "no longer a free people". There are plenty of rules and regs to keep one from feeling footloose and fancy free, without the inclusion of rules aimed at terrorism per se.
Dave

You're right, I guess. History previous to 1980 has hereby been erased.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

I'm going for a bike ride in a minute. If I see any Young European Women along the way, I'll be sure they are thoroughly frisked. :)
Dave

Or belts.
--
Regards,

Or disposable plastic cups. Folded the right way, you can cut meat with the resulting point. Or throats.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Damned near everyone on any conveyance carries weapons and no one thinks of taking them away. Any pen, particularly ball points, is an effective stabbing weapon, as are pencils. You would simply not believe the damage you can do with a thin newspaper, rolled up tight--or one of those inflight magazines. Shoe laces are effective garrotes, as are some cheap necklaces strung on nylon. The list goes on. It isn't endless, but it's longer than most security guards have to deal with these days.
Charlie Self wrote:

Unless they work in a public school. :-)

Even mentioning newsgroups in mixed company could produce enough illness to be disabling. :-)
David wrote:

This was discussed here not long ago. As I pointed out then, if authorities rely on racist profiling the bombers will simply use people who do not meet the profile. Not only is this pretty obvious on it's face, it has already happened:
Current theory on the Lockerbie bombing is that the bomb was carried onboard in the luggage of a passenger who was deliberately selected by the bomber becuase she did NOT meet the existing profiles.
A similar attempt was thwarted by British authorities because the searched the luggage of a passenger who also did not meet existing profiles.
In both cases the passenger who actually had the bomb in her luggage was not even aware she was carrying a bomb. I'm pretty sure that in both cases the bombs were in checked luggage. I do not think it would be any harder to trick grandma.
Using just a _little_ imagination you can also see how one could recruit or trick such a person into carrying the bomb hidden on their body too. E.g. if the targetted flight is a flight into Saudi Arabia, recruit the patsy to smuggle in a Bible and put the bomb in the Bible.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

true, the terrorists HAVE changed tactics lately with regards to choosing the types of sympathizers to carry out their evil deeds. Will all our best efforts be for naught, in the end? Will the bastards win?
Dave

Sympathizers? We're talking about using people who have no idea their luggage is being utilized to carry bombs. That's not a "sympathizer".
This a terrorist weapon now? Sounds like bad stuff. :)

David wrote: ...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

We are not giving up an essential liberty, but are obtaining long term safety. If carrying these bags works out to be a great way to make an attack, then we are going to see no end to them. That would not promote liberty or safety.
There are rules governing which bags may be searched, and how they can be chosen. There are limits to how our liberty is limited.
Michael
Plenty of other places in the newsgroups for this diatribe. Take it someplace else next time. Just because you say OT does not make it okay to post your bitching here.
This is rec.woodworking - the bullshit is in the other newsgroups for your reading pleasure.
Bob S.
BobS wrote:

And you are intruding into a clearly marked OT thread. so are you more right than the rest of us who are enjoying a bit of discourse??
Dave
David wrote:

Yes. There is a reason _why_ Usenet is divided up into many newsgroups.

Some of us who enjoy a bit of discourse are less enamoured of anarchy than you seem to be.
--

FF

As I said...take your BS someplace else troll....