OT:We saw Lightfoot last night.

Page 3 of 5
On 4/17/2010 11:57 AM, Swingman wrote:

Well duh! Here is the man himself, and Big Twist (RIP) on the same tune, live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeuHWGqj_GA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Nothing like blowing a couple of hours on a Saturday morning following a music thread on the Wreck and rearranging a whole mess of music on one of the iPods.... It was 86F here day before yesterday now we have white global warming shit falling from the skies.... welcome to the micro-weather systems of The Greatest Lakes Evar!

To which I will add:
Go out yonder, peace in the valley Come downtown, have to rumble in the alley Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in
Has anybody seen my lady This living alone will drive me crazy Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in
I'm gonna go down by the wa - ter But I ain't gonna jump in, no, no I'll just be looking for my mak - er And I hear that that's where she's been? Oh!
Out of nine lives, I spent seven Now, how in the world do you get to Heaven Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in
I just spent 60 days in the jailhouse For the crime of having no dough Now here I am back out on the street For the crime of having nowhere to go
Save your neck or save your brother Looks like it's one or the other Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in
Now two young kids might start a ruckus You know they feel you trying to shuck us Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in
On 4/17/2010 12:17 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Yep ... was just thinking the same thing. Waiting on Dad (86) to bring Mom (who is 87 and can't remember who anyone is, including him) down for a visit while he gets a rare chance to get out by himself and go to an outdoor bbq/birthday party for one of his graduate school buddies.
They babysat for us, now it's our turn ... wouldn't have it any other way.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The British and Dutch bankers to Iceland: "Send us SOMETHING!!"
Icelanders: " kayy "

Not yet, just wait a bit ...
--
Best regards
Han

everybody watched the news for the "volcanic ash report'. Which was basically which way was the wind blowing.
If the wind is blowing in your direction when an eruption takes place, you are in trouble. If it is blowing in another dirction, big sigh of relief. Of course, that means somebody else is in trouble.
On 4/17/2010 10:25 AM, Robatoy wrote:

For thick, goose bump raising harmonies, there's also Ladysmith Black Mombaza.
First heard them shortly after the release of Paul Simon's "Graceland" (one of the best, if not the best, examples of 1980's style recording/production values)
Have you experienced "Straight No Chaser"?
... and Manhattan Transfer, on their 1997 "Swing", one of the hottest examples of the concept of "swing", both vocally and instrumentally, ever recorded, IMNSH opinion.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yep, they did a concert at a local college. It was stunning.
Did you know that they based much of their vocal work on Louis Armstrong's trumpet riffs?
On 4/17/2010 10:58 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Oh hell yes! Many of the "rides" on their albums are vocal's imitating horn riffs.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

perzakly. see Hendrix, Lambert and Ross -- "Vocalese"
On Apr 17, 11:58am, "Lee Michaels"

*raises hand*

LBM's Oh Happy Day is awesome. (Again.. on vinyl)
Hell yes. I played the grooves off many a Manhattan Transfer LP. The Boy From New York City wasn't done till they did it. The transfer (ugh) to CD wasn't done well though... undithered 44K...blech. Sounded like a raspsody. <<Rob made a funny.
I shall round up the troops in search of "Straight No Chaser". Your recommendations have done well for me in the past.

I guess it is a matter of taste. SNC is a nifty band, and they are quite polished. They do a lot of novelty type stuff. There is plenty of their work on the 'tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v/e11OlMiz8

I don't think they compare to MT, though. JMO, but compare this little impromtu scat they did with Ella:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNNzarG15tU&feature=related

Not to offend anyone, but to me it is the difference between performers and musicians.
Both have a place on stage.
Feeling mellow, listening to Oscar Peterson's live solo performances (with an occasional guest such as Ella or Nat) on a rainy day....
Robert

By any other name, anyone who can sing four, five and six part harmony, unaccompanied, _is_ a musician. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Absolutely no doubt. I wasn't speaking badly about SNC at all.
What I meant to point out that was to me, there was a wide gap in choice of style and presentation between MT and SNC.
As I said, both have the place. SNC came here some time back, and the reviews were stellar.
Like those female voices in MT, though....
Robert

Manhattan Transfer is tops in my book also ... probably one of the best blends of "jazz" and "swing" ever, vocal and instrumental alike.
Like I said, their "Swing" album is one of the absolutest hardest _swinging_ albums of all time. Anyone wanna know what "swing" is ... introduce them to that album, it is the veritable definition of the genre. That particular album is also some of the most stellar musicianship you will ever hear, with virtuoso performances on every single instrument, on every single track.
Dayum, I wish I had had that recording budget a couple of times ... :)
You're right, SNC is not in the same genre, but damn those multi-part a capella harmonies. If you've ever been in a room and feel how they can acoustically make the air resonate without mics ... like Rob said, it'll make the hair on your arms stand up.
Then again, something like that is almost impossible to capture on a recording, it has to be physically experienced, whereas MT lends itself well, and can be enjoyed and appreciated, in all mediums.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You can't capture anything like that any more than you can capture a view of the Rockies on a photograph or even a painting.
On 4/17/10 12:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

It's come full circle, Larry. Now, many shows just play the album and pantomime to it.
--

-MIKE-