OT:We saw Lightfoot last night.

Well, they say if you slap a bass right, you can play _scales_.

I'm told some guys do it just for the halibut.

The whole thing seems somewhat fishy to me!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Hey, like I've told any number of drummer's I've worked with in the past (those who never grasped the concept, present company excluded because I've heard you play on that webcast, and when I said your snare "sounded great", it wasn't all bout the tone, it was a large part the "feel") ... _it's all in the back beat_.

A well placed, in time, snare drum is one of the most uplifting things in music ... from a strong mandolin back beat in a grooving bluegrass tune, to the metronomic snare in a rock tune, to the well placed just-behind-the-beat feel of the snare in a blues tunes (that snare placement that makes the bass player's head bob), to the swing "feel" added by the snare in a swing tune.

Some drummers are a pleasure to play with on any tune. Those who only know one thing, when it comes to placing that back beat in a measure, are a nightmare on anything that is not there particular thing.

It's unfortunate how many drummers fall into that category.

Ask any bass player who has spent more time standing next to a drummer on stage than many people have breathing.

It's all in the back beat ...

Reply to
Swingman

Oh hell yes! Many of the "rides" on their albums are vocal's imitating horn riffs.

Reply to
Swingman

And I guess you'll get to see Neil do both. :-)

What's the difference between a drummer and a toilet? A toilet only has to carry one a$$hole at a time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

LBM's Oh Happy Day is awesome. (Again.. on vinyl)

Hell yes. I played the grooves off many a Manhattan Transfer LP. The Boy From New York City wasn't done till they did it. The transfer (ugh) to CD wasn't done well though... undithered 44K...blech. Sounded like a raspsody.

Reply to
Robatoy

*raises hand*
Reply to
Robatoy

GO to your room!

Reply to
Robatoy

There have been virtual dissertations written on the placement of the back beat. Ahead, right on, or behind. It's a very subjective and "sensed" thing.

Personally, I've noticed that I'm usually in the back seat when it comes to driving that bus. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

In the sense that you can't teach it, I agree. But boy howdy, can I feel it when attempting to play bass with it.

As a bassist, I follow the drummer instinctively ... that's why I say it is a nightmare to play with a drummer who can't get the feel of the genre right.

We had a female drummer who sat in with us occasionally who is an excellent rock and country drummer and much in demand, routinely tours all over the country and Europe ... very solid drummer, and metromic, timewise ... but she absolutely ruins a swing or blues tune ... just can't do it.

That _is_ a nightmare, in a band that plays primarily Western Swing ... :(

Reply to
Swingman

It was always fun to watch Entwistle walk up to Moon and bring him back to the what the rest of the band was doing. I have a dozen DVD's (Bootleg and otherwise) of The Who proving that if you have a bass/ drum package. you have 7/8th of a band.

To watch Sly & Robbie is just farking amazing. Hence Sheffield Steel is still one of my favourite Joe Cocker LP's. Cocker's version of Dylan's Seven Days has Sly & Robbie go for a walk IN the PARK. (I have a small reggae infliction. Picked it up on the Island, mon.)

I hate to say it...but here it comes..."They don't make music like that anymore"...and "Get OFF my lawn!!"

For those more adventurous, see if you p2p a copy of Dark Side Of The Dub somewhere. Not for everybody, but if you like it, go buy it.

Meanwhile, enjoy this:

Robatoy

I think that's the key... getting a bass player and drummer who are in the same school.

I go to a lot of blues jams.... even though I really can't stand blues. :-) It's sort of a requirement of the job to play at these things and you meet a lot of great (and bad) players.

Last one I was at, the host drummer was a great player. He and the bass player were definitly in the same school as far as back beat *and* downbeat was concerned.

On the double-shuffle tunes (ie: Pride & Joy), their downbeats were way in the back seat and the drummer's back beat was so in front, it could've been a hood ornament. It was a little strange, but it fell together and sounded great... *and*... they were obviously digging it, together.

In a lot of the two-beat stuff I hear, the snare sounds pushed a little, like it's almost rushing, but stays in time. I can't really play that way, naturally.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My facebook status update, yesterday, after hearing "Real Me" on the radio....

"...thinks on The Who's "Real Me," Keith Moon and John Entwistle weren't sure who Pete was talking to when he said, "You take lead on this one."

Reply to
-MIKE-

Heavenly, when they work together:

(Don't know if that is Merle Perkins or not, but it sure sounds like it)

I want to go to heaven, but only to get a chance to jam with Merle Perkins and SRV.

Reply to
Swingman

Well duh! Here is the man himself, and Big Twist (RIP) on the same tune, live:

Swingman

Nothing like blowing a couple of hours on a Saturday morning following a music thread on the Wreck and rearranging a whole mess of music on one of the iPods.... It was 86F here day before yesterday now we have white global warming shit falling from the skies.... welcome to the micro-weather systems of The Greatest Lakes Evar!

Reply to
Robatoy

To which I will add:

Go out yonder, peace in the valley Come downtown, have to rumble in the alley Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in

Has anybody seen my lady This living alone will drive me crazy Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in

I'm gonna go down by the wa - ter But I ain't gonna jump in, no, no I'll just be looking for my mak - er And I hear that that's where she's been? Oh!

Out of nine lives, I spent seven Now, how in the world do you get to Heaven Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in

I just spent 60 days in the jailhouse For the crime of having no dough Now here I am back out on the street For the crime of having nowhere to go

Save your neck or save your brother Looks like it's one or the other Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in

Now two young kids might start a ruckus You know they feel you trying to shuck us Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in

Reply to
Robatoy

Yep ... was just thinking the same thing. Waiting on Dad (86) to bring Mom (who is 87 and can't remember who anyone is, including him) down for a visit while he gets a rare chance to get out by himself and go to an outdoor bbq/birthday party for one of his graduate school buddies.

They babysat for us, now it's our turn ... wouldn't have it any other way.

Reply to
Swingman

Here in my town, Dixon, CA ("Gateway to Davis") we have the Dixon May Fair, the oldest Fair in America that's still in it's original location.

We get a LOT of aged and past-their-prime bands, in the last few years (some still VERY good). But then, we also have the Demolition Derby, sheep dog trials, the FFA animal competitions, funnel cakes and greasy Carni food, and the carnival rides.

This May: Foreigner, Pat Benatar, Creedence Clearwater Revisted

Former years: REO Speedwagon ZZTop Doobie Brothers "Lynard Skynard" (well, kinda') many others

"We all get old".

-Ronnie Wood

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Q: How are drummers and auto-workers the same? A: They have machines for that now.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Somehow this flashed into my head, so I will just leave this here:

Down at the well they got a new machine The foreman says it cuts man-power by fifteen Yeah but that ain't natural well so old Clay would say You see he's a horse-drawn man until his dying day

Reply to
Robatoy