OT science question

Page 7 of 7
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:16:10 +0100, sweet sawdust wrote

Because in the popular mind, there is no difference between science and technology.
sorry, it's a question posted a long time ago. What the heck

Sure.
Can you tell us who these people are who are afraid of science/ scientists?
The only people whom I can think of who are consistently, as a group, afraid of science or scientists are people who are either heavily invested in a belief system that runs contrary to nature, or are even more heavily involved in convincing others of one, whether they believe it or not.
This is neither unique nor necessarily common among religious persons, some famous scientists were clergy, Gregor Mendel for instance.
I'm thinking more along the lines of various con-artists, psychics, fraudulent medical practitioners, that sort of thing.
They fear and hate science and scientists because it is science that proves them wrong, culpable, or criminal and it is scientists who can do so.
For instance, I only just today received a note from a dentist who is on the advisory board of a group that exists to raise awareness about medical fraud. He wrote, in part:
I have also found that with people with delusionary, grandiose borderline personality disorders that attempting to communicate with them in any way yields only more lies, defamations, and hostility.
I really can't think of any honest and sane people who are afraid of scientists. Many are apprehensive about science education because the find it a hard subject, but plenty of other people feel the same way about other subjects--Art for example.
So what is the next question, why are people afraid of art/artists?
--
FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Fred, you are right - it is important to note that the folks you describe are found in all walks of like and all belief systems.
Deb