community garden question

Our church is starting toward a community garden. We'll have a 150'x75' plot. Our garden is going to go in a big lawn. We know we should either push off the grass or we'll be doing weeding later.

However, I'm wondering if there might be some kind of grass poison which will not effect anything except the grass we could use?

Reply to
rb

You can kill all the vegetation with Roundup (glyphosate), but it must be actively growing, not dormant. You'll still have all the clumps of dead turf to deal with. If it were me, I'd probably kill and till this year, then plan on planting next year. That way you have less work, as you won't have to deal with the dead turf.

Reply to
trader4

Right on! I put 5 flower beds in a turf area. Rented a sod cutter for a half day, cut the sod, took it back, then came back & finished the beds. Cut way down on the labor and had very little grass come back in the beds.

Bob

Reply to
Bob