question for community garden on plows

Our church group is beginning a community garden of 150'x75'. I am a total newbie on gardening stuff. I assume we'll be using neat rows of stuff for planting. I'm trying to put together a package of least costly equipment. We have a Sears GT-5000 garden tractor. Because of this, our most economical choice would be to use it to pull eqpt. I also think it's best if we use Sears because of warranty, deliverd right here, etc.

Would someone look at the two pages of Sears ground engaging equipment and tell me what we need. It looks like maybe one or three plows we would need. In addition, are there anything that Sears doesn't have we'll need?

If needed, I can get ground engaging equipment on Ebay, and then ship in a big cost, or maybe go get .

here's one other source that maybe we could use:

rb

For that size garden, I'd just rent a roto-tiller in the Spring.

Reply to
trader4

That Sears machine has a pot metal rear end. It won't stand up to much "ground-engaging" equipment. It's not the power that's important - it's the strength / makeup of the drive train. It probably doesn't weigh enough to pull a mouldboard plow either. Especially if this is, as you say, a new garden. This first time working a plot is rough. After it's been worked a couple years it gets easier.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

You might want to consider changing the name of your garden. Our group established a community garden with the food going to a local area food bank. People started helping themselves to food from the garden, thinking that "community" meant free to anyone in the community.

KC

Reply to
KC

I recently picked up a used Troy Bilt from a pawn shop. An old one fro

Garden Way. It works. A garden tractor will compact the soil from th weight. Just because someone offers something for free does not mea there aren't other inexpensive options. I paid $400 for the Troy Bilt It was advertised on Craigs List, which I presume you don't have acros the pond. A community garden. A garden for the whole community or for few families? Chip into buying a rototiller that everyone can use n matter has big or small their individual lots since only one perso will be able to use the impliments because they have the tractor and i can only be used in large areas. Novice's should think before jumping If you are interested in raising some perennials flowers for color i the garden go to

-- bullthistle

Reply to
bullthistle

id hire it plowed and disc'd . and just buy a good tiller to keep it up during the season.. maybe a pull behind tiller for your sears 5000. lucas

ds549