Teaching Moment

Changing out a wall switch, I have my sister helping me. She tells me when I found the right breaker and I go up to change the switch. I tell her "just because you've turned off power doesn't mean the box is dead." I check the second switch with a non-contact voltage detector (aka Death Stick) and see no light. But I turn on the second switch anyway and the ceiling fan turns on!

Good teaching moments sometimes just show up.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yeah, they do. You simply cannot plan serendipity.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

That's why I create a breaker "map" for any family/friend's house I'll be working in more than once (most will ask more than once and I'm willing to work for food ;-) Takes MUCH longer the first time, but most of the outlets and switches will have the number of the associated breaker written on them with an extra fine point Sharpy. And I create a copy in Word for reference and printing - sized to fit on the breaker box door.

ads wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's a good idea. A "professional" electrician moved the breaker box several years ago, installing a new one, and didn't label any of the circuits. There's a paper above the box telling where the old circuits went, and it's just enough to narrow things down.

I've found a Dymo-style label maker works really nicely. It's easy to read, there's lots of room to type, and the 1/2" label fits nicely in the space provided.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My fixtures aren't labeled, but the "map" at the breaker box is written in manner that not only describes what each breaker controls, but where appropriate it also describes what the breaker does *not* control.

For example, there 2 breakers that are labeled as follows:

15 - "All living room receptacles except GFCI on North wall. See Brkr 22."

22 - "GFCI on North living room wall only. All other living room receptacles on Brkr 15."

There are some descriptions that reference 3 or more breakers, typically from situations where I've pulled new circuits over time.

My map was created and updated in Excel.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I requested that labeling the breakers be a condition of purchase when I put a down payment on my house. It intimidated me that it had no labels at all! I may not have ever learned that I had a sump pump! : )

Reply to
Bill

On 10/2/2018 8:35 AM, Bill wrote: ...

That was good thinking, there...

Reply to
dpb

That's the kind of thing a GOOD home inspector will point out to you. When we bought the current house, I tagged along with the inspector to learn as mcuh as possible - plus his report was very detailed. Well worth the money.

I wasn't allowed to "tag along" on the inspections for my last two houses. Apparently it isn't the norm everywhere. The reports were quite detailed, however.

Reply to
krw

Our home inspector pulled the cover off of the circuit breaker panel to see if the electrician had tossed the wire insulation in under the switches. He did, and the builder cleaned it out.

Reply to
Leon

I did the same. And using his pictures, I was able to get a new roof (shingles), since they were still under warranty, and clearly had issues. A couple years later I found out there was a class action lawsuit on behalf of everyone who had bought that brand/model of shingles (not me of course, as I had already settled). It was about $450 for the inspection (in case anyone is curious). Of course, they have possible "add-ons".

Reply to
Bill

I would ask when making an appointment. If it's not okay for me to tag along, then they may not be the inspector for me... Of course, I wouldn't expect them to take me up on the roof (or the equivalent). I mean, I Mean, I MEAN (in the spirit of Arlo Guthrie), whose writing the check! %-)

Apparently it isn't the norm everywhere. The reports were

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news:6o4tD.272746$Vl2.78668 @fx46.iad:

I tagged along on ours too. The home inspector did a good job and a little teaching along the way. He pointed out the well pump shut off switch and that knowledge has come in handy several times. If a problem occurs, I'll shut off the pump then figure things out from there.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Kid

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ha! Amazing how the words come flooding back! "I want you to write down... twenty-five sentences... the offending officers name...", and Kid, "Go sit on the bench marked Group W." : )

Reply to
Bill

Alice's Restaurant has been a Thanksgiving morning tradition in our house for as long as I can remember.

My kid's grew up with it and SWMBO and I still play it even now that all the kids are out of the house. Every single year. 2 of the 4 kids have continued the tradition at their own homes.

This year will be easy. "Alexa, play Alice's Restaurant".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Then you'd be buying a house without an inspection.

Reply to
krw