OT science question

Page 5 of 7

Never to be one to pass up an opportunity to get a free dig at the under-educated, Charley again proves he can't have any thoughts of his own and decides to piggy-back onto someone else's post.
As you seem so desperate to join in on an intellectual discussion, allow me to educate you first. History is full of anecdotes of companies unleashing inadequately tested products (thalidomide just to name one of hundreds). Do a little reading on aspertame, saccharine, red-dye number ?? AMC Pacers, hormones in milk, cigarettes were no health risk for decades... the list is endless.
And I am at risk to waste my breath talking to those who worship at the altar of infallible corporations, the worshippers can't hear anything, their heads are shoved THAT far up their asses. Must be nice to go through life denying the existence of corporate greed. Dream on!
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 05:36:48 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

(snip)
(snip)
Instead of reflexively chewing on the ankles of your betters you would do better to consider the core of Charlie's argument. For instance, you might try looking at the 1970 Nobel Prize winner, Dr. Norman E. Borlaug, often referred to as, 'the man who fed the world', for an instance of genetic manipulation that has unquestionably benefitted humankind.
It might also be instructive for you to read up on Gregor Mendel, so as to have a sense of the history that Charlie references.
You might further consider this:
http://www.political-humor.org/how-about-a-nice-cup-of-shut-the-fuck-up.shtml
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Go play with your marble countertops, Tom... and if I want an opinion on something from you, I'll ask for it, okay? Oh, and next time you post a link, try to find something that's original and isn't covered in dinosaur shit.
BTW 'benefited only has one 't', o, literary genius!
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:18:08 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

...ecce homo...
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
RE: Subject
As usual, given enough time, "Nan, na, nan nah", seems appropriate.
--
Lew Hodgett
Box 2302

Tom,
Treat the counterman like any other wet fart. Just spray the air and open the windows, in that order.

That might clear the air, but you'd still be walking around with poopie pants.
Tom Watson :

If there were a man who one could call 'the man who fed the world', it would be Fritz Haber. It is said that a full third of the world's population - that's about two billion - are kept alive because of his ammonia production process.
On the other hand he was an asshole who would never have got the Nobel Peace Prize, being the 'father of chemical warfare'. He got the Nobel Prize in Chemistry instead.
But then, if you see which people get the Peace Prize...

*snip*
Me, I think I'd vote for Dave Thomas, Founder of Wendy's. Well, at least for "the man who should feed the world." Good hamburgers, especially for a fast food restaurant.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

A friend calls Wendy's "The Cadillac of Fast Food." <G>
<snip>

Best line of this thread.
Robatoy wrote:

The Sterile Seed thing is a biggie in my book.
Genetically engineered plants to prevent a farmer from saving seed...
There's only one reason for that, and it's not to enhance world food availability.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Most of what has been planted in the West in the past century are hybrids which, by definition, do not reproduce themselves.

There is nothing about GE plants that makes this so. Also seed that is inferior.

No, there is another very good reason. Hybrids do cross-polinate but do not reproduce themselves, rather a mutt that isn't desired. A sterile seed would eliminate this cross-polination.
Are only religionists afraid of science?
--
Keith

Robatoy wrote:

Not on my BIL's organic farm. <G>

Made up? "Scientists are concerned that engineered organisms might harm peoples health or the environment. For example, engineered crops might contaminate the food supply with drugs, kill beneficial insects, or jeopardize valuable natural resources like Bt toxins. Engineered fish may substantially alter native ecosystems, perhaps even driving wild populations to extinction." source: http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/genetic_engineering /

I would prefer that they understood how & why they work before they are released. Ex. Minoxodil was developed to treat blood pressure problems, a side effect is hair grwoth. Viola! Rogaine.

Agreed that they have good intentions but accidents happen, that is why some people fear science. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24065416 /

Not all scientists are responsible, 31,000+ 'scientists' disagree with Al Gore. http://www.petitionproject.org / So one side or the other (probably both) is being irresponsible and they're all scientists. No doubt some believe they are right, some do it for pilitical or grant$ reasons, and some are just plain stupid. Point is they're all scientists and they disagree so some of them are basing their opinions on faulty 'science'.
I'm not against science I just want them to be more careful.
Limp Arbor wrote: ...

No, not all of them are scientists despite news reports that may make them out to be. OTOH, of the ones who are, they're people, too, and people make mistakes and are occasionally driven by other motives than the ones they publicly profess and are, sometimes, simply wrong. Or, given the type of scientific questions being addressed by the global warming question, there's certainly no lack of uncertainty in models and so there's no surprise whatsoever that there can be conflicting conclusions drawn from competing models of the same phenomena--that's science.

Well, your wanting isn't going to change the actions of either the majority who are quite careful imo and nor the very small minority who are exceedingly reckless or the ones in between. Again, people are people the world 'round. For the most part, things are in reasonable situations of checks and balances. Like all other areas of human endeavor, things could undoubtedly be better in some areas; one can be thankful they're not worse in others.
Limp Arbor wrote:

Ummm... Then why do they continue to create them? It isn't the janitorial staff that engineers new organisms.

Maybe not intentionally....
Woodie wrote:

Some scientists are concerned, others are not. Always check the credentials of the ones who are "concerned"--many "concerned scientists" are not scientists and of the ones who are they are often "concerned" about matters way outside their field, and outside their field a scientist's opinion is no better than anybody else's.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

What about concerned janitors?