OT: It had to happen.

Just saw on the news that Californians are protesting to hardware/hard drive manufacturers that the terms "master" and "slave" are considered "inappropriate" and hardware manufactures should re-name them to something less offensive, like primary and secondary.

Is it ever gone to end?

Reply to
Swingman

Sadly, probably not.

Reply to
ChairMan

I ran into this when trying to get a replacement slave cylinder for a hydraulic clutch.

Funny thing is, the guy making the objection couldn't tell me what else to call it.

Reply to
Mark

How about "lord" and "peasant"? Or "dominant" and "submissive"? Maybe "boss" and "lackey"? Anyway the new serial ATA interface is going to become the standard and SATA can only support one drive per controller so the whole issue will soon be moot. Except in Calley Fon Ya (ver soon ve vill all have fabulous jobs) where this will be declared unfair to those who have to support more than one of anything. DD "It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines

Reply to
David DeCristoforo

Now you know why California is the "Breakfast Cereal State" - Lots of fruits, nuts, and flakes.....

BillyBob

Reply to
BillyBob

I hope this is one of those joke news items. But probably not, given the location.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

charliediy hoped:

It does not appear to be: one from Bob's Junkmail follows.

It isn't a big deal at all, unless you work for the county of Los Angeles. Here's an email they sent out last week:

"Subject: IDENTIFICATION OF EQUIPMENT SOLD TO LA COUNTY Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:21:16 -0800 From: "Los Angeles County"

"The County of Los Angeles actively promotes and is committed to ensure a work environment that is free from any discriminatory influence be it actual or perceived. As such, it is the County's expectation that our manufacturers, suppliers and contractors make a concentrated effort to ensure that any equipment, supplies or services that are provided to County departments do not possess or portray an image that may be construed as offensive or defamatory in nature.

"One such recent example included the manufacturer's labeling of equipment where the words "Master/Slave" appeared to identify the primary and secondary sources. Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment or components thereof that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature before such equipment is sold or otherwise provided to any County department.

"Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

"Joe Sandoval, Division Manager Purchasing and Contract Services Internal Services Department County of Los Angeles"

It reall, really should be embarrassing to be this stupid.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

[idiotic memo snipped]

Hell, Charlie, it should be *illegal* to be that stupid.

Doug Miller

Doug Miller responds:

I'd settle for them being embarrassed enough to keep the stupid in their own heads.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Trouble is, folks like that are too stupid to be embarrassed by their own stupidity.

Doug Miller

A primary or secondary is a name to designate the controller...and either can have a master and slave. So a primary on a primary would be confusing.

Maybe they can be color coded. lol

Not as long as people keep asking us to ignore HISTORY...and remember it for a lesson well learned. We can't forget the past...but we can use those lessons as a guide for the future.

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

Reply to
Trent©

On 26 Nov 2003 09:58:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

-snip-

-snip-

Yeah, and "stupid" should HURT!

(Care to get neutered, Joe? SPSB)

(Stupid People Shouldn't Breed)

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

I wonder what that guy would call those hydraulic fittings that go on the ... you know ... cylinder ... inside & outside fittings?? Or for that matter, just let L.A. Co. try to buy any electrical connectors :-p

-- Marc

Reply to
Marc Hudson

Trent© wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This subject was interesting to me because I'm in the IT industry and I honestly never thought of the master/slave thing in that sense. Hmmmm.

Reply to
Casey Stamper

It was probably the whips and chains bits that got the guy upset. That master hard drive chain the slave down and whipped the living pee out of it. Him. Her.

There are some badly confuzzed pipple out in CA.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Are you sure they qualify as people? Joe seriously doubting it

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I guess we'll have to change the "male-female" designation for pipe fittings too. That offends me.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Interesting. What specific lessons are you referring to?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

now would that happen to be the daisy chained bits on a master-slave disk array :-)

- sorry, slow pre-tg-day...

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

Hopefully it will make those poor confused little street L's feel better about themselves.

Reply to
Mark