OT: It had to happen.

Page 1 of 4
Just saw on the news that Californians are protesting to hardware/hard drive manufacturers that the terms "master" and "slave" are considered "inappropriate" and hardware manufactures should re-name them to something less offensive, like primary and secondary.
Is it ever gone to end?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
In spewed forth and said:

Sadly, probably not.

"boss" and "lackey"? Anyway the new serial ATA interface is going to become the standard and SATA can only support one drive per controller so the whole issue will soon be moot. Except in Calley Fon Ya (ver soon ve vill all have fabulous jobs) where this will be declared unfair to those who have to support more than one of anything. DD "It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines
Swingman wrote:

I ran into this when trying to get a replacement slave cylinder for a hydraulic clutch.
Funny thing is, the guy making the objection couldn't tell me what else to call it.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

I wonder what that guy would call those hydraulic fittings that go on the ... you know ... <slave> cylinder ... inside & outside fittings?? Or for that matter, just let L.A. Co. try to buy any electrical connectors :-p
-- Marc
Now you know why California is the "Breakfast Cereal State" - Lots of fruits, nuts, and flakes.....
BillyBob

Swingman writes:

I hope this is one of those joke news items. But probably not, given the location.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
charliediy hoped:

It does not appear to be: one from Bob's Junkmail follows.
It isn't a big deal at all, unless you work for the county of Los Angeles. Here's an email they sent out last week:
"Subject: IDENTIFICATION OF EQUIPMENT SOLD TO LA COUNTY Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:21:16 -0800 From: "Los Angeles County"
"The County of Los Angeles actively promotes and is committed to ensure a work environment that is free from any discriminatory influence be it actual or perceived. As such, it is the County's expectation that our manufacturers, suppliers and contractors make a concentrated effort to ensure that any equipment, supplies or services that are provided to County departments do not possess or portray an image that may be construed as offensive or defamatory in nature.
"One such recent example included the manufacturer's labeling of equipment where the words "Master/Slave" appeared to identify the primary and secondary sources. Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label.
"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment or components thereof that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature before such equipment is sold or otherwise provided to any County department.
"Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.
"Joe Sandoval, Division Manager Purchasing and Contract Services Internal Services Department County of Los Angeles"
It reall, really should be embarrassing to be this stupid.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

[idiotic memo snipped]

Doug Miller responds:

I'd settle for them being embarrassed enough to keep the stupid in their own heads.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

stupidity.
On 26 Nov 2003 09:58:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:
-snip-

Yeah, and "stupid" should HURT!
(Care to get neutered, Joe? SPSB)
(Stupid People Shouldn't Breed) ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------

A primary or secondary is a name to designate the controller...and either can have a master and slave. So a primary on a primary would be confusing.
Maybe they can be color coded. lol

Not as long as people keep asking us to ignore HISTORY...and remember it for a lesson well learned. We can't forget the past...but we can use those lessons as a guide for the future.
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent

This subject was interesting to me because I'm in the IT industry and I honestly never thought of the master/slave thing in that sense. Hmmmm.
--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper
Casey Stamper writes:

It was probably the whips and chains bits that got the guy upset. That master hard drive chain the slave down and whipped the living pee out of it. Him. Her.
There are some badly confuzzed pipple out in CA.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

Are you sure they qualify as people? Joe seriously doubting it
now would that happen to be the daisy chained bits on a master-slave disk array :-)
- sorry, slow pre-tg-day...
says...

I'm sure that given the fact that San Francisco is in CA, daisy- chained is not only acceptable, but a celebration of the diversity of lifestyles practiced in this diverse community.
.. ah well, as they say, stupid is as stupid does.
Saw further information that LA was inundated with e-mails from across the world excoriating the LA purchaser for the stupidity in his pronouncement. Apparently he backpedaled a bit, indicating this was only a "suggestion" for LA suppliers since other, more acceptable phrases were equally correct. Which of course, shows the guy has no clue, master/slave indicates an entirely different arrangement than primary/secondary -- but then precision of language is not the goal of the PC (and I don't mean personal computer) crowd.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Hee... That gives one thoughts though. "We're offended because this male connector won't mate with the other male connector, and the female connector won't mate with the other female connector. This computer equipment is heterosexually biased, and we're offended. To avoid this offense, you need to examine the population in your workplace and label all female connectors as 'asshole' connectors, and/or re-label all male connectors as 'strap-on' connectors. 'Strap-ons' in the 'asshole' won't offend either group, so that would be the preferred labelling in a mixed-gender workplace."
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

.. dadgummit! Keep this up and I'm gonna hafta buy Windex in bulk! (I'm not going to stop drinking tea while reading the newsgroups -- probably otta swallow before clicking "next" though)