OT Humor:Words of Yesterday

Page 2 of 3

Leon wrote:

--Steve
Steve wrote:

They were supposed to relieve muscular back pain. The FTC nailed them for false advertising.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Really, I pulled my back several years ago and they worked like magic.
Steve wrote:

    yuk,     jo4hn
Vic Baron wrote:

    j4
The jo4hn entity posted thusly:

That's what we used to call them! For reference, I grew up on the west coast of Canada. You?
Oleg Lego wrote:

Canada. Still do.     eh?     jo4hn

"Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compounds"
Robert Bonomi mentioned ... "Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compounds"
Interesting! I'd always wondered what the inspiration was behind the Scaffolds' song "Lily the Pink" The chorus reads "# ...for she invented medicinal compounds, most eficacious in every way...#".
Many thanks for the added educational, Robert.
John -- Remove 'spamfree' to reply

The _Royal Guardsmen_, of "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" (et al) fame, did a varient of 'Lily the Pink', on the Snoopy record.
Had the well-known Ebenezeer verse, and one about;
"a boy named Johnny Hammer, had a terrible st-st-st-stammer, So they gave him medicinal compunds, and now he doesn't t-t-t-talk at all."
Anyway, "Lydia Pinkham's" was real stuff (sold variously as 'medicinal compounds', and 'vegetable compounds'). `
The fact that it was 20% alcohol may have had something to do with it's popularity. and being touted as a cure for 'anything'. :)
Robert Bonomi wrote:

First time I heard the Lydia Pinkham song, it was done by the Irish Rovers. Finally found some lyrics:
BALLAD OF LYDIA PINKHAM
Let us sing (let us sing) of Lydia Pinkham The benefactress of the human race. She invented a vegetable compound, And now all papers print her face,
O, Mrs. Brown could do no housework, O, Mrs. Brown could do no housework, She took three bottles of Lydia's conpound, And now there's nothing she will shirk, she will shirk,
Mrs. Jones she had no children, And she loved them very dear. So she took three bottles of Pinkham's Now she has twins every year.
Lottie Smyth ne'er had a lover, Blotchy pimples caused her plight; But she took nine bottles of Pinkham's-- Sweethearts swarm about her each night.
Oh Mrs. Murphy (Oh Mrs. Murphy) Was perturbed because she couldn't seem to pee Till she took some of Lydia's compound And now they run a pipeline to the sea!
And Peter Whelan (Peter Whelan) He was sad because he only had one nut Till he took some of Lydia's compound And now they grow in clusters 'round his butt.
mahalo, jo4hn
Slogans too - How about "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent?"
and the ever popular
"BrylCreem - A little dab'll do ya!"
not to mention the old Burma Shave rhyme road signs.
Gee! I really *am* an old fart!
Vic
"Vic Baron" wrote in message

Only if you remember "Hadacol".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Remembered the name - seem to recall it was a yellowish liquid cold remedy or something like that.
Do they still make "Sen-Sen"? and the bitter tasting licorice lozenge in the orange and black box?
What amazes me is the fact that they *still* make those hard candy drops on a paper strip and the was "bottles" with colored sugar water in them. I used to eat them when *I* was a kid. Talk about brand survival.
Vic

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id 49

That reminded me of Lucky Elephant pink popcorn. Used to buy it as a kid in the early 50's, I think it's still around. And still as ugly looking :-)

I haven't seen it for years, but lo! <http://www.alwayscanadian.com/products.php?category_id &page=3>
I used to love that stuff as a kid...

Or., Candy cigarettes, and bubble gum cigars.
On 13/04/2006 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:

Licorice cigars and pipes, complete with "fire". Lik-M-Aid. Wax lips, bottles, whistles. Blackjack gum. Macintosh toffee.
It's amazing we still have teeth. *Any* teeth.
How about tobacco ads on TV?
"Winston tastes good, like a (bumm bumm) cigarette should."
-- Mark