OT Humor:Words of Yesterday

yeah, but remember when cracker jack prizes were actually good?

Reply to
Philip Lewis

On 4/14/2006 11:10 PM Robatoy mumbled something about the following:

Spoken like a man who knows his coffee :) I grew up drinking coffee cooked on a wood stove, no percolator, just pour the grounds in the pot, add water, heat up, add a pinch of crushed egg shells to settle the grounds, and pour a cup (a couple of drops of cold water will settle the grounds to the bottom of the pot as well). It took me forever to accept the taste of drip coffee, as it didn't have the full flavor I had come to enjoy. I still don't like it, but since it's about the only way to get coffee nowadays, I've accepted it. Oh, and the darker the roast, the happier I am.

Reply to
Odinn

..and they came in little boxes? Now they come in baggies with a big honking nutritional information legal brief stamped all over it...in TWO frickin' languages no less.

"The 'TOY' can't be played with by children under 3 years of age, lest they ram that entire 1/2" x 1/2" chess set up their snotty little noses!!

Reply to
Robatoy

We called those 'necker knobs', grab a little boobage whilst turning that jacked-up Fairlane into the A & W....

Reply to
Robatoy

One of my all-time favourite sitcom characters was the oriental detective on Barney Miller (I think he was played by Jack Soo?) Whenever his coffee-making skills were discussed in the show, all co-workers had the opportunity to do their disgusted/double-take expressions...what a hoot.

Reply to
Robatoy

I had some great stuff from Kenya...man... talk about dark. The beans glistened with oil.

Never did the beans which are picked out from cat-shit... forgot the name of that coffee. Seriously.. certain cats would eat the beans and then the aborigines pick them out from the cat-scat and sell them...it is supposed to be THE ultimate in coffee..... well.. guess what... Rob ain't all THAT interested.

Reply to
Robatoy

Tom Lehrer is STILL my favorite song writer. I was in JHS when I "discovered" him, and I still think he's great. My favorite is "When You're Old and Gray."

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Did I mention the "cuddle shift"? Move the column shift lever to the left of the steering wheel so you could shift and cop a feel at the same time. horns, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

| I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

Anyone heard a Bermuda Bell recently?

Morris Dovey

sounded sort-a like a triangle to me, but then it inexplicably vanished!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Sort of like those places along the way to your favorite drive-in, where they had those "S.O.B curves?"

Slide Over, Baby.

Reply to
George

Bitchen post Jo4hn.

-Zz

¸Sf×ÌSfSince I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that
Reply to
Zz Yzx

George Shouse

Robert Bonomi mentioned ... "Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compounds"=20

Interesting! I'd always wondered what the inspiration was behind the = Scaffolds' song "Lily the Pink" The chorus reads "# ...for she invented = medicinal compounds, most eficacious in every way...#".=20

Many thanks for the added educational, Robert.

John

--=20 Remove 'spamfree' to reply

Reply to
John (aka wheelzuk)

The _Royal Guardsmen_, of "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" (et al) fame, did a varient of 'Lily the Pink', on the Snoopy record.

Had the well-known Ebenezeer verse, and one about;

"a boy named Johnny Hammer, had a terrible st-st-st-stammer, So they gave him medicinal compunds, and now he doesn't t-t-t-talk at all."

Anyway, "Lydia Pinkham's" was real stuff (sold variously as 'medicinal compounds', and 'vegetable compounds'). `

The fact that it was 20% alcohol may have had something to do with it's popularity. and being touted as a cure for 'anything'. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

[snip]

First time I heard the Lydia Pinkham song, it was done by the Irish Rovers. Finally found some lyrics:

BALLAD OF LYDIA PINKHAM

Let us sing (let us sing) of Lydia Pinkham The benefactress of the human race. She invented a vegetable compound, And now all papers print her face,

O, Mrs. Brown could do no housework, O, Mrs. Brown could do no housework, She took three bottles of Lydia's conpound, And now there's nothing she will shirk, she will shirk,

Mrs. Jones she had no children, And she loved them very dear. So she took three bottles of Pinkham's Now she has twins every year.

Lottie Smyth ne'er had a lover, Blotchy pimples caused her plight; But she took nine bottles of Pinkham's-- Sweethearts swarm about her each night.

Oh Mrs. Murphy (Oh Mrs. Murphy) Was perturbed because she couldn't seem to pee Till she took some of Lydia's compound And now they run a pipeline to the sea!

And Peter Whelan (Peter Whelan) He was sad because he only had one nut Till he took some of Lydia's compound And now they grow in clusters 'round his butt.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn