OT Humor:Words of Yesterday

Page 1 of 3

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".
A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.
Like "curb feelers" RSfSfSfSfand "steering knobs" (I knew these as brodie knobs).
SfSfSince I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.
Remember "Continental kits? They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes? At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."
I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."
Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?
Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought. Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.
"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted. This floors me.
On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.
When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way? It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply"expecting."
Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.
I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.
Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink. Ooh, what a nasty put-down!
Here's a word I miss - "percolator. That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker. How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.
I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"
Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore.
Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper. Now everybody says "dinner. Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.
Mahalo, jo4hn
Strange you should mention "Fender Skirts". I have a set of 49-52 Chevy Fender Skirts for sale on the local "Craigs List".I need the money cause the wife is in the "Family Way" . Come on over some evening for Supper and we can talk about cars and wood stuff :>) Bill

Bill Hall wrote:

[snip] I'm always good for free food and drink. Where are you?     greedy,     jo4hn
The jo4hn entity posted thusly:

This is just too weird. I hadn't thought of "curb feelers" for maybe 40 years. Then, last Sunday evening, I saw a classified ad in which someone was offering a set of them. Now you mention them too.
Ever get the feeling that words are alive, and when one wakes up, it starts showing up uninvited everywhere?

George, how does a coffee maker differ so much from a percolator other than the water does not continue to percolate through the coffee grounds? IIRC every coffee maker that I have seen does boil the water before the water reaches the ground coffee.
Oops, I just answered my question. The percolator boils the water and coffee. The coffee maker only boils the water. That said, coffee is even better if you heat the water in a pan and not bring it to a boil then poor that water over the ground coffee. Not as convenient though.

True. And you can get a Bunn that does just that. Our current model holds a reservoir of hot water, holding it at the perfect temp at all times. When ready to brew you just pour cold water in the top and it pushes hot water out of the tank and into the basket. It brews a pot in about 2 minutes and never boils the water.
It's not the best if you go weeks without making coffee, because it wastes power and some water seems to evaporate. But for folks like me for whom coffee is a religion, it's a nice unit.
--
********
Bill Pounds

Have to agree on the Bunn - just bought my second one - first one lasted > 20 years! Makes the BEST coffee - bar none!
Vic

Actually, the *best* coffee is made with cold (well, room-temperature) water.
tie the requisite amount of fine-ground coffee beans in cheese-cloth, and let steep in the pot of water for 12-24 hours. remove grounds, and then warm to serving temperature.
Generally only practical if you're making a significant (30-50 cups) qty.
For home-scale use, the vacuum pot is generally conceded to make the best coffee. The drawback is it doesn't scale down to below about 6-8 cups in a batch.
One of the selling points of percolators was that they made 'coffee aroma' earlier.
True 'drip' makers need the reservoir of already-heated water -- this is ok where you're making lots of pots of coffee -- e.g. a restaurant -- but not for occasional use. Water _will_ go 'stale' if left to sit for extended periods.
snip

post this to alt.coffee and see what kind of response you get!
Gary (:-)

Why bother? :) The source of that methodology was the chief flavor chemist at a major spice/flavoring manufacturing company.
I've also got direct experience to go by (considering that _I_ am not a coffee drinker) -- it's been "real-world tested" at our house (more than once) when we were having a large group over. EVERY ONE of the coffee-drinkers wanted to know 'what brand' that coffee was -- it 'tasted so good'.

wrote in message

I won't knock it until I've tried it but I read alt.coffee regularly and thought it'd be fun to see some of the regulars there come unglued (back on topic?)
Gary (hard core coffee roaster/drinker)
On 4/13/2006 11:09 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

The problem with drip coffee makers, is that the filter captures a lot of the oil from the grounds. The oil is what gives coffee its aroma and flavor (darker roasts create more oils than lighter roasts, as well). This is why a french press makes the absolute best coffee, percolators come in a close second (provided you only heat the water to the optimum temp). The problem with both a french press and a percolator today are that most store bought ground coffee is made for drip makers (finer grind), so you have to a bit of searching, or grind your own.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Bar none. My BUNN does okay if I need a steady supply...but for that 'Kick-in-the-pants' espresso-like hit of coffee...my French Press does the best job.
Lately it's been nothing but green tea.... loose leaf..in my French Press.
On 4/14/2006 11:10 PM Robatoy mumbled something about the following:

Spoken like a man who knows his coffee :) I grew up drinking coffee cooked on a wood stove, no percolator, just pour the grounds in the pot, add water, heat up, add a pinch of crushed egg shells to settle the grounds, and pour a cup (a couple of drops of cold water will settle the grounds to the bottom of the pot as well). It took me forever to accept the taste of drip coffee, as it didn't have the full flavor I had come to enjoy. I still don't like it, but since it's about the only way to get coffee nowadays, I've accepted it. Oh, and the darker the roast, the happier I am.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

One of my all-time favourite sitcom characters was the oriental detective on Barney Miller (I think he was played by Jack Soo?) Whenever his coffee-making skills were discussed in the show, all co-workers had the opportunity to do their disgusted/double-take expressions...what a hoot.

I had some great stuff from Kenya...man... talk about dark. The beans glistened with oil.
Never did the beans which are picked out from cat-shit... forgot the name of that coffee. Seriously.. certain cats would eat the beans and then the aborigines pick them out from the cat-scat and sell them...it is supposed to be THE ultimate in coffee..... well.. guess what... Rob ain't all THAT interested.
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:04:06 -0400, Robatoy

http://www.thecoffeecritic.com/fusion3/html/kopi.shtml

<snip>
How about "Carter's Little Liver Pills"?
Vic
Vic Baron wrote:

Doan's Pills?
--Steve