OT Google buys AOL chunks

Page 1 of 5

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article (404
Remember something mentioned about Google in a prior post,HANDY FARM DEVICES. Had something to do with google search. Wonder if this will make it worse.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

OOOOOOOH! NOOOOO!!!!!!
Are you MAD man???? Hide yourself now before the wolves come to shred you!!!!
Tom in KY, RUN! RUN!!!RUUUUUUN!!!!!!
evodawg wrote:

As long as they don't use any part of AOL then were still safe. If AOL does to google what they did to roadrunner then we might as well stop using google now.
Eugene Nine wrote:

I'm just wondering why any company would buy a losing market share outfit. AOL has been going down hill for years. The other thing I don't understand, is why would anyone use this type of service, MSN, Yahoo, AOL and others?
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:21:17 +0000, evodawg wrote:

Because, like my Dad, they think these services ARE the internet. And Windows does nothing to convince them otherwise.
Bill
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:05:48 -0500, Eugene Nine wrote:

Actually the AOL server software is quite nice and is on a par with Apache for security and features.
Bill

5 years ago maybe. These days we're more interested in the best platform to run Tomcat, and that isn't AOL.
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:06:55 GMT, evodawg

Well, in general if AOL has anything to do with it, it *won't* get better. Although, in fairness, they have done pretty well with Mozilla and FireFox. Most telling though is the quote, "Time Warner finally accepted when Google agreed to give AOL favored search treatment" Wonder what *that* means to those of us who don't care where the information is, we want the most relevant information requested.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

What does AOL have to do with Mozilla and Firefox?

My understanding was that AOL bought Netscape, the foundation of Mozilla and Firefox.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Mozilla (and Firefox) is a complete bottom up rewrite. Netscape has now Mozilla as a foundation and not the other way around.
The mozilla foundation is a not-for-profit (501(c)3) founded by eff (and lotus 1-2-3) people, and apache server people. I think it started as a "skunk works" project inside the Netscape company.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

Believe Mozilla with Netscapes approval was started by the OPEN SOURCE community and has been around for a long time. Linux and others had no really good Browser except for Konqueror. And they said that open source would never work. Thousands of Linux user contributed to its development. Now FireFox is the best browser available. FireFox has a built in search option, built right into the search window, I think this is the relationship they talk about between google and firefox. Firefox was also designed to beat up on WindBlow Explorer or whatever it's called these days. Explorer is and was so full of holes that something needed to be done and Mozilla was and is the answer. Anyone using Explorer today is a fool, it has not been updated or improved in years. Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Are you very young or just opinionated? Those of us who used open source programs in the past can tell you compatibility stories that would curl your toenails.
Which includes operating systems, BTW.
George wrote:

I wouldn't call myself young, maybe young at heart. 50 is still young as far as I'm concerned. But what story did I tell? I've been using linux since 1995 and have never had a problem or never looked back. I'm sure you're still using Explorer too, right?
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

You've got to be kidding. There is NO O/S that you can use for 10 years without problems.
For instance, I'm using Slackware (and have off and on since version 0.9?) and with my latest installation I can't get CUPS to recognize my 3rd parallel port. Not a major "toss it" type problem, but a problem nonetheless.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Guess "problem" is a relative term. I should have said major problem, my mistake. Like you said never a problem where I wanted to toss the OS. In 1995 I tossed Windblows forever, I just got so frustrated with it and it was no longer a frustration I wanted to deal with anymore. I too use Slackware as one of my OS's and others I mess with.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:04:53 +0000, evodawg wrote:

Dudes .... ;-)
Good to see other Linux users on a woodworking forum!
Ram in my server belched so I kissed off about 300 days. Previous reboot was due to a power failure (remember when the East coast grid tanked?). Also trashed about 300 days.
Currently typing this from my laptop.
Bill
W Canaday wrote:

ok...
17:22:00 up 81 days, 9:14, 14 users, load average: 0.14, 0.08, 0.02
huh, no knew (distro) kernel updates in awhile (hence the extended uptime)
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

XP was the last straw for me. I was running NT4 and w2k for a long time, then bought myself a new lappy three years ago with XP. After about 6 months it wouldn't recognize half my USB devices and I mistyped a web site address and got a major spyware infection despite disabling java and active x in IE, running an a non Admin user, running AV and antispyware, etc. I popped in slackware 8 or 9 and shutdown to upgrade my drive to a 60g then installed slack10 and just a few months ago 10.1. I actually get bored now since it never breaks.

XP is the same way, if you know what to tweak and how to tweak it. My machine was last rebuilt about 8 months ago, and I've have gigabytes of programs installed/uninstalled, and it still runs as well as it did when I formatted the HD.
I'm on the net 24/7 and have yet to be infected with a virus or spyware.
Matt