OT as Hell - Sam's Club

Page 4 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) writes:

Can't speak for Sam's Club, but Costco is definitely worth it. Just for the $29.99 bottles of Herradura gold. Two bottles and you've saved your yearly membership fee. Likewise the Veuve Cliquot (a $10-$15/bottle savings), or the BV Rutherford Cab for $15 (vs. $20 in the stores, if you can find it).
The 2.5# packs of blueberries (in season) for $5.00 aren't a bad deal, either.
scott

Costco's "executive" membership is pricy ($100) but if you do virtually all your shopping there like I do (only real shopping in 100 mile radius) the 2% rebate covers the cost of the membership over a year. Fate has it that I plunk down $300 on every visit no matter if I shop with a long list or pop in because I happen to be in the neighborhood.... -Bruce
On 13 Jul 2004 23:50:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

Used to do Sams when I lived in Idaho, now (and before that) it is Costco. Bulk food warehouses aren't what they were before the yuppie crowd discovered them (they don't have flour in 100lb sacks any more) but if you are price savvy you can do OK. Store brands are smart, name brands are generally less than in a grocery store but still far more expensive than store brands. If the choice is between name brand in bulk at Costco and store brand in small containers at Safeway I usually do the Safeway thing.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On 13 Jul 2004 23:50:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

I have visited Sam's Club. My employer gave free membership cards but I only shop there once or twice a year as it is over 30 miles away. It would be great for catering and someone who throws frequent parties, but not too useful for small families or those who have limited storage space. I have not seen anything woodworker-related in Sam's Club.
(BUB 209) wrote:

really
whithout
of
of
swarming
off -

Depends on what "related" means I guess. Tonight I was at Sam's for milk, greens, freezer bags, and some other odds-n-ends and took at look at the tools. They have Porter-Cable circular saws (6" I think)on sale for $75. I didn't see the model number, but there's nothing else on the net for that price. They had the small P-C rotary cutter (aka "rotozip") on clearance for $25, and a big framing nailer for under $200. (I didn't look closely at any of these as I don't need them.)
They typically have PC nailers, drills, and circular saws. Occasionally they have Delta or PC miter saws in the $300 range. A few sizes of compressors, inc. some 60 gal 220v models. Great prices on ladders (1/2 of what Menard's charges for the exact model when I bought my 28' there). Other shop equipment of various sorts, all generally about 30% less than any place else I've ever seen it.
It's hard to beat the prices on some things there, for sure. And contrary to another poster's experience, we can still get 50 and 100# bags of flour at our Sams.
-Derek
For us, it's the same as what others have said. You have to be careful what you buy. For example, there's a goofy type of mozzarella cheese I like to get. All the local grocery stores have it for $8, sam's has it for $4. Luckily, my wife is real good about knowing what a good price is. I would never keep track of it all. They also have things I can't get anywhere else. For years, we've been buying these bags of chicken. My daughter started calling it "circle chicken" at about 3 years old. She's 12 now. It's a bag of about 40 skinless, boneless chicken thighs. They have other parts also. I think it's $9 for the bag. They have spiral cut hams that are usually too expensive, but sometimes go on sale of a spectacular price. They have pans of frozen lazagne that are really good also. Then there's the pre-made frozen meatballs. There's a lot of things.
brian
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote in message

I've been a member for a few years now and have been pretty darn careful on watching the prices at Sam's vs. the regular stores. Seems the prices at Sam's are between the regular prices at Kroger's, Marsh and several others and the sale prices at these places.

even
looking