OT as Hell - Sam's Club

I wonder how much of that is taxes and fees. Or Guido and Nunzio? Be willing to bet there's a large amount of that in New York. Would it be any cheaper across the river? Later, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Sounds like Scotty Mayfield. Might be true, can't say, I do know the lower the milkfat content, the longer it'll keep in the fridge. Consider, 100% Whole Milk lasts as has been said 10-14 days, skim milk will have a date on it at Kroger as much as three weeks out. Pretty cool. Later, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Hi Scott, If I recall correctly, what you say is true up to a point. They (dairy companies such as Borden and others) do pay by weight, but I think they pay by the weight of butter fat that is in the raw milk. That is one thing that the inspectors look at when they come out to a farm and farmers keep an eagle eye on as well. This can vary greatly over the life of an animal with such variables as breed of cow, type of fodder, age of animal, and general physical condition, and yes, even the amount of rainfall in a year, or so I've heard in Biology and ag science courses. Anyway, the upshot is that the price the farmer gets for his raw milk is based on the richness of that milk in butter fat, cream if you will.

Those prices sound real attractive. If only you could trust the ground to stay where you found it.

Later, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

"> I don't think we EVER get out of Costco for less than $300....

We took back our Sealy 'king' bed today and got back $ 1293.00 Bought an ice cream and a Coke and left R

Reply to
Rudy

Well, isn't it preferable to have milk shaken not stirred? :)

Reply to
Upscale

What was wrong with it?

Reply to
Upscale

Hmm. Around here, I'd say the opposite is true and Sam's has the better stuff and variety. Costco has a lot of their own brand of crap and not enough national brands. Sam's has a better selection of books at better prices. Religious books are more extensive at Sam's but only one section of a broad array of books. I htink Sam's has the best selection of books overall, though BJs is close (but more $). CDs at Costco, for a while, were some kind of generic brand compilations, mostly. Bakery is better at BJs, pretty good at Costco, not bad at Sam's. Etc. More extensive variety of fruits and veggies at Costco.

Also belong to BJ's and their stuff is just a tad more "high end".

The furniture stores are selling pressboard furniture these days too, unless you go to a high end place.

Gas savings are significant around here (sometimes 20 cents a gallon for premium).

I belong to all three 'cause I get one free membership and split the other 2 with friends (I'll split BJ's w/you if you split Costco w/me type of thing). If I had to chose one, I'd eliminate Costco and make a tough choice between the other 2, leaning a bit more toward BJs (which, incidentally, takes credit cards and coupons). That's in the DC area and YMMV.

Renata

-snip-

Reply to
Renata

I stopped buying milk last year, and before that drank milk all my life. The price got rather high, and I decided to drink water instead. I was amazed how many high-calorie foods (pie, cookies, chocolate, graham crackers, etc) I ate with milk. I lost 40 pounds! Now I buy powdered milk and use it in my coffee. If a recipe calls for milk, I just mix up some from the powdered. No more sour or spoiled milk !

Reply to
Phisherman

In my area, most grocers with service stations are now giving gasoline discounts...from 2¢ to 15¢ per gallon.

Sam's has always been high priced in my area. I had a business membership for years...but finally dropped it. I can get much better prices by just shopping around.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

And it never tastes quite the same.

At least that's been my experience.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

I've been a member for a few years now and have been pretty darn careful on watching the prices at Sam's vs. the regular stores. Seems the prices at Sam's are between the regular prices at Kroger's, Marsh and several others and the sale prices at these places.

Reply to
Kevin

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:13:22 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

For some things Costco (no Sam's Clubs up here) is a good deal. On others, it's no better than local stores. On a few items, it's more expensive than local stores. And since Medford it a

50 mile RT drive, I go only when I need something specific, like COFFEE! (Or a polish/kosher-beef dog fix.)

I must be more frugal than you guys. I have called it "The $100 Store" for eons now. Of course, I don't have a wife hanging on my arm wanting to go down EVERY SINGLE AISLE and looking at EVERY SQUARE INCH OF THE STORE, either.

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dunno. I never really noticed a difference.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My observations are that their computer stuff is generally over priced since this stuff is always getting cheaper (fast). The power tools are the same way. I usually can find a place on-line with a better deal when sales tax and shipping costs are accounted for. Costco's return policy is top notch however and if I want some tool or other gizmo that I have a feeling might be "too good" of a deal I'll buy at Costco since I know I can return it. This happened with a 120GB disk drive, failed after 5 months of slight use. It was still under manufactures warranty, but I only had to go to the service desk to get a 100% refund.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

Yup. The butterfat content does get factored into the cwt price.

So far, so good. I've survived both Wittier Narrows and Loma Prieta with no problems (9 miles from the epicenter of the first, 20 from the second). Both in the high 6's. Thought they were following me around for a while.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Its not the calories...its the carbs that you were eating!

I never drink milk. I drink 1/2 & 1/2 ...or heavy/whipping cream.

And, yes...I've lost considerable weight, too.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

I have a hard time buying that my $4+/gal milk is higher quality than your cheaper milk. At Stop & Shop I used to get Farmland brand, in 1/2 gallon paper cartons (there is not an appreciable mark up for buying the 1/2 gal instead of the gallon -- only a few cents/gal). Farmland would last in my fridge for only a few days (3-4) before it started to smell, and it certainly wasn't drinkable after a week. Recently, I've been buying the Stop & Shop brand, and it lasts a solid week before any noticable smell.

The sell by date stamped on the cartons here is never very far into the future - at most a week. That said, it doesn't always correlate with when the milk goes bad.

I know that NY City has different date rules, because all of my cartons (on Long Island, not in the city) come stamped with two dates - one for in NY City and one for outside of NY City.

Chad

Reply to
Chad Bender

How about 50/50? They used to sell a half fresh, half powdered mix as milk in Alaska. Didn't taste that bad, and was all we could afford.

Milk is a more efficient way to eat grass than beef.

Reply to
George

Are you sure your fridge is set at a cold enough temp? Something's wrong somewhere in the scheme of things if your milk is spoiling in a week.

I just bought 2 gallons of 1% yesterday (7/14) with a sell by date of

7/19. Typically our milk lasts a good 7 days after the sellby before starting to turn - that gives us about 2 weeks from purchase to use it up.
Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

It seems that if we keep our milk past the date stamped on the bottle we end up with a Cottage Cheese.

Reply to
Leon