ON topic: Verrreeeeee eeeenterestingggg

Page 1 of 2
That's cool. . . . Anybody try this yet?

What if I included the URL, eh? Eh? EH??
http://www.lamello.com/en/downloads/application-videos/neuheiten/fixo.html

What if I included the URL, eh? Eh? EH??
http://www.lamello.com/en/downloads/application-videos/neuheiten/fixo.html
Good idea. I can see where that could be very useful.
On 1/9/2010 5:10 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Butt ugly, but damn effective. But, how many times do you need to make a mitered corner with construction lumber?
Kinda reminds me of those ubiquitous corner fasteners my grandfather used to use to fix window screens, on steroids. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I think it would work okay with hardwoods.
Robatoy wrote:

I'm building a game console to go in our son's room, nothing very fancy, just some cherry trim and cherry plywood with a laminate top to match his desktop (which right now has become a game table with a small portable TV on it (he does his homework in the kitchen so he can pester my wife or myself with how hard it is and how much help he needs. :-) This would have been very handy for both the mitered top frame and the miters on the console base. The biscuits would not be visible and the clamping and pulling the pieces together would do much better than the in the ends of the frames

Rob Leatham
Robatoy wrote:

I could have used that last week. Very cool. I suppose the lamello biscuits won't work with Porter Cable biscuit joiners, will they?

Rob Leatham

The flyer which I received in the mail, had the URL in the review. They claim any biscuit joiner will work. here's a bit more. http://www.lamello.com/uploads/media/Fixo_eng.pdf
Robatoy wrote:

Thanks. Definitely going to look into that.

Rob Leatham

There is something just wrong about using an overpriced and patented piece of plastic in a biscuit joint. For pete's sake, clamping isn't that difficult. I suspect that the cost of those plastic bits from Lamello is going to add up pretty quickly for volume work. For low volume and one-off pieces, the overhead of clamping is better than the hassle of dealing with yet another tool in the shop.
I think that most of us will admit that we're better off learning how to adapt a smaller number of tools and techniques to a large number of applications than try to use the "perfect" tool and technique for each time. For one, it cuts down on the cost of tools. But more importantly, it lets us concentrate on mastering our techniques.

*gasp* Yes... annnnd????

Yabbut...yabbut....

Very cool. What are they made of?

I think I have a better solution....the Domino.

But you're still clamping. This is for Q&D work, not fine furniture.

But you're still clamping. This is for Q&D work, not fine furniture.
Yeah that is true but I have to justify the cost of the Domino,,,, just like Lamello is coming up with ways to justify payinf mor for their product.. LOL.
Seriousely though I have made a dozen or so picture frames and used the Kreg jig and pocket hole screws to fasten the corners. I made the frame material, 2 pieces, in to long moldings after staining each of the 2 pieces different colors.
Luckily no tear out in the miters so no touch was needed and the pocket holes closed the miters perfectly.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4262567565 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4262567669 /
On 1/10/2010 12:19 PM, Leon wrote:

Just watched TOH and Tommy was using a Domino to make his built-in bookcase carcases.
They were also using a Delta line boring machine to do the adjustable shelf pin holes ... eatcherheartout, viewers!
I tuned in late, but didn't see any Festool ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The Domino would be a nice fit for my shop. So would a nice powerful bread-dough mixer for the house. *S* That's a fun hobby so far. Annnd, as with most hobbies, there's this lunatic fringe which has quite a presence on the net. I'm hoping this interest of mine fades. (Butter pecan raisin loaf is NOT low-cal)....(but farking awesome!!!)

I have seen them using "your" saw in the las couple of weeks.

Looked like they were using the KPAX CMS in the same room painting was happening, but perhaps that was before the line boring machine.
Puckdropper

Just did a price check. So far... 50 cents apiece. Sooo. that little demo they did, the 4 flat miters and the 4 butt miters. $ 8.00. That still makes it Quick & Dirty, but not Cheap & Dirty. Hell, I can throw a band clamp on for $ 4.00.. or as you suggested, use the Kreg. Those Lamello bastards....