ON Topic: A WWing Question For The Wreck

OK, I've done DAGS, research, asked around and still don't have an answer, so ..

Problem

-------

I have a storage area under a basement stairwell (enclosed) in which I wish to build wine storage. It does not have to be pretty, just functional. The goal is maximal storage, minimal space and minimal construction complexity. The idea is to build something that I can anchor to the wall studs for strength. Everything I've seen to date involves lots of cuts and construction. I want to use pine to to store as much grape juice as I can.

Ideas?

TIA,

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Tim Daneliuk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ozzie.tundraware.com:

How about stair stringers? Turn them on their sides so a V shape is formed, and connect them with short pieces of wood.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

To which wall studs are you planning to attach? Under the stairs?

Reply to
Robatoy

You may not want to purchase from this site, but their design seems to meet the requirements of maximum storage and to my eyes minimal construction complexity.

design avoids any circle types of cutouts, all straight cuts.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Will a wine bottle fit in the cavity of a cinder block? :)

Reply to
Larry W

milk crates as you need and zip tie them together? You can make a support for the bottom row so that they can be stacked on one of the corners instead of flat and each crate can hold at least a dozen bottles. While the racks from grotto are gorgeous it seems to me that there is way too many cuts and assembly time involved. Also they only hold standard 750 ml bottles where as the mikl crates will hold anything at all.

Just my $.02.

Reply to
Doug Brown

Depends on the block. The ones with two cavities, yes. Three cavities, no.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Some piney one-by's arranged in diamonds gives you a lot of stable storage for your piney dollar.

Similar to this:

I'd simplify it a little.

Reply to
Woodie

The studs that make up the walls on either side of the stairway.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Thanks Tyke. =20 I have been looking for ideas for quite some time. =20 These are the best so far.

P D Q

construction=20

PDQ

Ok. Here's the racks that Dean built on two occasions on Hometime :

they will work for you or not.

I would also look into styrofoam containers. I have some for my wine collection. I just did a Google, but couldn't find them. If you live near a winery or patronize a particular one in another area, ask them if they have them or know where do get them. They are a "clamshell" molded box. Fits two bottles, I have ones that fit 12.

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

I bought some racks from Ikea, very similar except they are rotated 90 degrees, they worked out cheaper than buying the material and I had a lot to do at the time so I went for it.

Reply to
Frank Campbell