Time to vote on the "soft wreck"

The call for votes (CFV) has been issued for the splinter group "rec.woodworking.all-ages" proposed by Vito Kuhn and Susan Welchel

Reference message ID is

Read the instructions in the CFV and follow them if you want your ballot counted. Voting closes October 21 at 1 second to midnight UTC.

The CFV should appear in the following groups:

news.announce.newgroups news.groups free.uk.woodworking rec.crafts.woodturning rec.woodworking

but I don't see it here on the wreck yet.

I've submitted my ballot...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Unless the CFV also calls for eliminating rec.woodworking, I'm not too worried about it.

In my article list, the CFV for rec.woodworking.all-ages appeared just before your post, so there must be a bit of lag if you hadn't seen it before posting.

In any case, I'm very amused by the idea that the proponents hope to create a "family safe environment" in an unmoderated NG. "Unmoderated" = "anyone can say whatever they wish".

Perhaps they just need to adopt my news reading methods for the wReck: I "mark read" about 80%+ of the posts, because either they're OT by subject line, or outside my areas of interest, or there have been more than 10 replies, which means it's probably devolved into a "meaningless brown cloud of poot", to quote Frank Zappa.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

can you clarify the meaning of the different possible votes? it looks like the possibilities are:

[ YES ] example.yes.vote [ NO ] example.no.vote [ ABSTAIN ] example.abstention [ CANCEL ] example.cancellation

thanks....

Reply to
bridger

'YES' you are in favor of the new group being created 'NO' you are opposed to the new group being created 'CANCEL' to void a previously cast vote. (you can change your mind during the voting period, only your _last_ vote counts. 'Cancel' is how you withdraw a vote, =without= casting a vote for the opposite side of the proposition) 'ABSTAIN' no functional purpose. it pretty much says "I'm going on the record as 'I don't care' about this group."

The appropriate "magic word" must be inserted in the space marked off with the '[' and ']' characters, in front of the name of each newsgroup on which you are casting a vote.

If you think the proposed group may have an adverse effects on rec.woodworking a 'no' vote is in order.

If you thing the proposed group has merit, in and of itself, then a 'yes' vote is in order.

If you don't have any real feelings either way, then the recommended action is _do_not_vote_ on the matter.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Ok this will sound mean but I believe the first 2 are self explanatory but the last 2 are added for the benefit of Florida voters. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

If you're using my TrollFilter, or Robert Bonomi's filters, you won't ever see it on the Wreck because it's been crossposted to five groups. Our filters remove such crossposts.

Doug Miller

I wonder if my host is filtering...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'm not using your filters.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I don't see it either ... no filters, using Giganews.

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:20:42 GMT, Kevin Craig vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

How limited of you.....

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

You don't have to eliminate a group to negatively change it. I'll be voting no, mainly because the people proposing it have done _zero_ to explain what they're up to, what their motivation really is, and so on.

Add "ineffective and unneeded" to my list of concerns, yes. No positive effect, real potential of confusing people trying to get wooddorking information, and an inevitable cross-posting "everything goes to both groups" situation, proponents of unknown/dubious motivation.... I'm not seeing _any_ upside to this.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Explains why I didn't see it also. I killfile anything to 3 or more groups, for the same reason. Need to go find it.

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm using supernews, and don't see it (even in my list of killed posts) but do see it on my cable ISP's feed.

Annoying.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I found it and voted.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:300920040726001096%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

CFV's are often cross-posted to all the relevant groups. Many servers filter out all posts posted to more than one or two groups (in order to eliminate troll posts, which are usually crossposted to AUK, the nose, the flonk, etc etc).

Anyone interested who doesn't see the CFV should probably look for it on Google groups.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in news:lmanl0dmkv8fb2o3pv7uoer5mkk1k3n7q8@

4ax.com:

The usually accepted meanings are:

[YES] - I approve of this group and intend to read it [NO] - I have some technical objection to the existance of the group [ABSTAIN] - I have no objection to the group but also won't read it [CANCEL] - I have previously voted and now wish to remove that vote

Note that "technical objection" can include such things as "I beleive this group will adversely affect other groups" as well as "I don't beleive this group will have a viable readership".

Note also that these meanings are slightly different from those in Robert Bonomi's post. These are slightly more accurate, altho those are close enough for practical purposes.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I also don't see it, but I suspect that it is getting filtered because I have Agent configured to skip crossposts. That means that if the message has been retrieved in one group it will be skipped in any subsequent groups it appears in. In this case I see it in news.groups, but, because rec.woodworking is later in the subscribed groups list, it is skipped here.

Either way I saw it and am casting my "no" vote.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

For me it showed up as a reply to the 3rd RFD post. Mebbe check there.

Reply to
Joe Wells

I reset the group (supernews has over 100,000 posts to the wreck still on their servers, BTW), disabled all my filters and sure enough, the CFV showed up.

So supernews is off the hook.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

For some reason, I feel compelled to take (at least minor) issue with most of the above.

Notably that a yes vote implies that you *do* intend to read the proposed group.

Over the years I have voted _for_ a number of groups that I had no intention whatsoever of reading. Where there was a valid functional division being drawn, and the new group was going to siphon off stuff that I had no interest in. Creating that new group was going to get the 'irrelevancies' (to me) out of the group that I _was_ reading -- a 'worthy' reason for creating it. :)

Since 'abstain' votes are, for all practical purposes, totally *ignored* by the voting system, there is no functional difference between an 'abstain' vote and _not_voting_.

The 'cancel' description, above, is a bit misleading in that it would seem to imply that if you wish to change your vote from 'yes' to 'no', or vice-versa, that you need to 'cancel' the your prior vote, and then submit your new one.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi