Time to vote on the "soft wreck"

It's not on my newsserver, but searched groups.google.com for rec.woodworking.all-ages CFV and followed the instructions there. Worked fine, got the ack shortly after I sent in my vote.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in news:56d2e$415cdb91$44a75e7a$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

That misses the point of having a vote, however. The reason the vote is held is so that the newsgroup administrators can determine if there's enough potential users to justify creating a group. If the group doesn't have enough users (readers & posters) it will die, causing extra work for those maintaining newsservers (and probably also failing to draw off your "irrelevancies" :-)

Which is why one's generally expected to vote yes only if they'll at least read, if not post, the new group.

Of course, anyone's free to vote any way for any reason :-)

Yeah - getting it in one line was tricky. I was hoping that using "remove" and not "replace" would get the point across that you only need to use cancel if you don't want to have any vote entered.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Hi... I've been lurking here for a few months and I see how everything here works. However, I have one concern with the new group. If this rec.woodworking.all-ages actually happens.. will rec.woodworking become rec.woodworking.*? And if so, won't we be flooded with cross posts from people who just want an answer about some basic thing and are trying to post to as many groups as possible? I see that this happens all the time in that kind of group (look at rec.antiques for example.) Maybe this is an out of place post, or im misunderstanding or or something, so if this is wrong, I apologize in advance

(braces himself for fire)

Reply to
a.t.

xx_capriceclassic snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (a.t.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

No. The wreck would remain the same, except possibly a few of the whiners and prudes might not be here.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

Welcome to the Wonderful World of the WrecK!

'Splain it to me sometime, willya?

IMO, r.w.aa has a very, very (very) small chance of passing.

No, the WrecK will be here, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

Pretty likely. So go vote No to r.w.aa if you're concerned about this.

Yup, I have that t-shirt too.

Nope, this is the right place to chat about a potential split of r.ww.

You *have* been paying attention. I'm impressed. ;^)

Reply to
Joe Wells

you are correct. namespace pollution is one of the main objections.

Reply to
bridger

No. rec.woodwoorking will not change.

I think that's certainly a possibility. I had a very short private exchange with one of the proponents of the new group where I encouraged them to pursue the moderated group with a better set of moderators. I likely would have voted yes if that had gone to a vote. The current proposal makes no sense to me, being unmoderated, and I don't understand what color the sky is in the proponents' world.

Not at all. This is a great place to discuss the issue.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Not sure what you mean by that

Ayup, very likely. Also likely that somebody with an idea will cross-post to both groups as well (or worse, multi-post, resulting in duplicate, redundant messages taking up additional space).

This is one of the reasons rec.ww has never split, there has yet been no clear identification of a split hierarchy that would not result in multiple posts, dilution of effectiveness, or efficiency of reading.

Seems like you have a pretty good grasp of potential consequences.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone know why the turning group ended up in rec.crafts rather than rec?

Is there a puky duck factor at play?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

IIRC from the discussion leading to r.c.t's creation, rec.ww is kind of grandfathered into its current position in the hierarchy. At some point, the name space cabal realized there was a large proliferation of rec.* groups and started further segregating them by interest, thus the rec.crafts.* hieararchy. Thus when the turners' group was started, it was placed in the crafts hierarchy to meet the new approach to classifying groups. rec.woodworking retained its original position because to change that would have had severe consequences in numerous places, for example, in the archives, etc.

Don't think so. Anybody else have better memory retention than me on this?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:22:11 -0700, Mark & Juanita scribbled:

I recall the same from when I started lurking on the wreck. See this post by one of the proponents.

"nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Thanks for digging that out.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ok.. Thanks to everyobdy who helped me figure this one out. Also, thanks for the welcome. I hope to be able to participate in the discussions here in the future.

-Drew

Reply to
a.t.