Looking for hand powered grinder

I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6" grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.

If you know of anyone that sells a hand powered grinder, please point me!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I think all the good ones *are* vintage. I can't imagine a manufacturer finding a market for a well made (not cheap) manual grinder in this day-and-age. Not with so many cheap vintage ones around :-)

If you have concerns over Ebay, I suggest finding a reputable s/h tool dealer.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

I doubt that you'll find non-electric ones new these days. AS for antiques, I've got a couple I use regularyly, and turned down a pair last weekend for about $15 each. You didn't say where you were, so I'd suggest looking in the local antique malls/shops.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in Fairfax

Lehmans has one- 50 dollars US- but they show it as backordered. Listed under handtools .The last new one I bought was 9 dollars bout 10 yrs back from a surplus hardware store in Socal- calaero...

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Thanks, Patrick.

For anyone else looking for information, I just received an email from someone who also gave me the link to Prairie Tool Company.

I read in old Google messages that grinders from this company are used at College of the Redwoods. They sell a 6" hand grinder for $36.00.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

How about a tredle grinder? Seems more practical as it leaves your hands free to hold the work.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

'll have to download the catalog but they've got wet and dry hand grinders. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

'll have to download the catalog but they've got wet and dry hand grinders. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

[snip]

Yeah, and $49.95 for a "hand crank flashlight", tells you something about the rest of their prices too.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I've been considering doing this myself...any good sources for plans, etc? I've an old hand crank grinder I've thought of fitting out with a treadle.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

Here's one on eBay, put this number in the search engine: 4326970434

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

NO idea. My uncle has one that he's using both as an "Objet d'Art" and to keep my aunt's knives sharp, but I've no idea where he scored it.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Greetings- I have a hand cranked grinder with a 6" wheel that clamps to a table, etc. Email me if interested. Jim in SE mich. snipped-for-privacy@flash.net

Reply to
Jim L.

"Jim L." wrote in news:HF18d.13822$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

Anyone looking for a manual grinder should try these folks:

know they had one in stock a few years back, so they probably have a source.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser