Looking for a source of thin boards

I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide. Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0 spiral blade) doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards .. particularly when you when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.

Does anyone know where I can find a good source for thin boards of various wood types ... with decent widths available?

Thanks!

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Can you get the effect you want with a door skin (1/8" plywood) or by applying wide veneer to a 1/8" substrate like masonite?

This gentleman has a list of lumber links on his website:

might find something there.

Meanwhile, does anyone here know how the real tiny wood pieces used for modeling are cut and dressed? I see basswood and balsa and sometimes other woods in hobby stores that are 3/32" thick,

1/2" wide and a foot long. It seems like these would not be cut and dressed with 'normal' saws, jointers and planers.
Reply to
fredfighter

Try

gkemper
1/8") for doing | fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide. | Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0 spiral blade) | doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards .. particularly when you | when to create a relief effect by overlaying them. | | Does anyone know where I can find a good source for thin boards of | various wood types ... with decent widths available? | | Thanks! | | Jack |

I've had great wood and service from Sloan's Woodshop in Tennessee. Down to 1/8" on the various hardwoods and down to 1/32" on plywood.

others to try:

Ocooch Hardwoods in Wisconsin

D&D Woodcrafts in Pennsylvania

If you're scrolling, take a look at Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine. (formerly Scroll Saw Workshop) The articles and the ads are worth looking at.

No financial interest, just a happy customer.

John Flatley Jacksonville, Florida

Reply to
John Flatley

Probably using the items you mentioned plus a drum or wide belt sander.

Reply to
Stinky

Both Rockler and Woodcraft list wood of various species in varying thicknesses.

Just last night, David Marks made his own thin wood strips for a veneering project. He used a band saw and a drum sander. You could substitute a belt sander for the drum sander.

But, you will need a lot of wood before you would save money by making your own.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Have you tried baltic birch plywood? It is available in thicknesses down to about 1/32" and can be stained or dyed very easily. You can also stack and cut several pieces at once.

For scroll saw questions, check the forums at or the mailing list at .

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

Thanks! That's probably a good way to start without spending too much money. I'll check the other links the other people listed for some nicer woods.

1/8" is probably the thinnest I'd ever need, so maybe this is my best bet.

Jack

Bob McC> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:29:15 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" > wrote: > >

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Thought of using door skins.. Great for fret work..Use them here a lot.. Several nice wood grains there..

byefernow wPm

Reply to
Buffalo

I use door skins for backs on book cases, etc.

Reply to
Lee Michaels