How to Remove a Splinter

It's my guess most of us have tweezers in the shop. Here's 5 ways to remove a splinter...

Phisherman

Thanks for that.

Robatoy

was one way, but I see that it's not.

Reply to
karmstrn

If it works for you, do it. Wiki's are user input sites.. really no different than this newsgroups.

Reply to
-MIKE-

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Phisherman spewed forth:

glue, let dry, then peel off along with the splinter. Similar to the tape method, but if it's a wood splinter the glue can absorb into the wood, aiding the removal

Reply to
ChairMan

Somewhere I have a pair of tweezers that have an attached magnifying glass.

Rockler has them:

LD

from Lee Valley Tools. They advertise them as the best and they are. Or course, one needs to be able to see the splinter to use them. The methods in the video above don't always require sight to work.

Upscale

so one day many years ago I took a pair of Revlons out to the shop and honed the tips to a fine point, then yanked a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper through the mating faces while maintaining light gripping pressure until they were perfectly flat. I got them so finely tuned you could pull a splinter out of Tinkerbell's pinky. Once my wife tried them out she was elated, and she made me do the same thing to every pair of tweezers in the house, and since then, she's loaned out my services to practically every female we know. I'm thinking of starting a tweezer honing business. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Try here:

've got a pair so fine, they will actually cut flesh to aid in getting out a splinter. When I was a machinist, those pesky steel slivers (splinters) were devilish to remove. With a mag headset, no splinter is too small.

notbob

them around the shop.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Somewhere I have a pair of tweezers.... lol

Reply to
Joe

It's worked for me. Particularly if it's festered for a day or so.

Otherwise I wipe my pocket knife on my pants to sterilize it and...

Reply to
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

30 years in a machine shop has taught me that the easiest way to remove a metal splinter is with a disk sander. Press the affected area against the spinning disk and remove when it stops sparking. Self-cauterizing, too. ;)
Reply to
JKevorkian

Gerald Ross

it. No problem seeing it then

Reply to
i82much

I just had this discussion with some pros I know... standard practice seems to be that they pull out what they can with their fingers. If anything remains they let it fester itself out. I've done that with chestnut pod spines quit a number of times as no mater what method I tried I couldn't remove them mechanically.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin