accessing the wreck

My cable company doesn't provide newsgroups as part of my service so I am using Google to read and post to the group.

Is there another way that I can access the group that will give me some filtering capabilities and not have me filtered as a googler?

Reply to
RayV

There are a variety of news providers you can subscribe to. I use supernews.com

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I use Agent ($29) and subscribe to their APN service (starts at $2.95/mo).

Agent's filtering capabilities arer just OK, but w/ NFilter you should be good to go.

Usual disclaimers apply.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Teranews is also a cheap alternative. For their basic service, they charge a one time fee of something like $3.95. It provides access to all the usenet groups.

Reply to
Upscale

I want free - I found this Italian place. Seems to work fine. Only thing is it sometimes adds a signature. Yuck (Sorry guys)

da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

By your email address it looks like Comcast is your ISP. Per their web site they DO provide news group service.

*****

The Comcast News server settings are as follows:

NNTP Server: newsgroups.comcast.net

User name: your Comcast.net Primary email address (example: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net)

Password: your Comcast.net password

*****

See:

no(SPAM)vasys

On 2006-05-18, Upscale ranted thusly:

That's amazing. I wonder if they are better at it than my provider. I get occasional requests for a username/password authorization that their tech support can neither explain, nor provide insight to (they usually ask me if my computer is plugged in, or tell me to use IE or something.)

Any testimonials? :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

"Sir, put down the mouse and back away from the keyboard! ..."

Reply to
Swingman

Pretty observant there Jack. I no longer have Comcast as a service provider since I moved, my ISP is now Patriot Media. I'm in what used to be a sparsley populated part of the state that no big companies wanted. I can't even get Verizon home phone service.

Hopefully Verizon & Comcast will buy up my part of NJ soon so I can get back to real service...

Reply to
RayV

Ray,

Are you a United Telephone/Sprint customer? Sprint DSL comes with Earthlink, and they have a fairly good news server.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

How about an anti-testimonial? I subscribed to teranews after my ISP (Direcway) decided that Usenet wasn't all that important and stopped carrying newsgroups. I first tried the "free" service (initial setup cost is something like $3.95). I had continual problems accessing the server, often not being able to get updates to the group for days at a time, binaries didn't load well -- I often was unable to download pictures from abpw. There were some picture files that would literally hang my news reader and require having to restart the newsreader. For some reason I can't explain, I thought maybe the subscription Teranews service would be better. It wasn't. I switched to Supernews before my Teranews subscription had even expired and have never looked back. I can now see all binary files from abpw and abpf and have never suffered any downtime being able to access the servers.

Mark & Juanita