Old window for sharpening base?

Page 2 of 2
On 12 Nov 2004 20:06:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Might want to check the box stores. Lowe's is in the middle of a country-wide remodeling upgrade, and there's a lot of 12X12 marble tile in odd quantities out there going for $1 apiece.
Michael Baglio

I was paging thru a "Jigs and Fixtures" book a few days ago. A well published writer (Engler? Nick Engler?) said he invested in a marble slab used for cookie dough from a kitchen supply store for his scary sharp sharpening. His thought was it was plenty thick, plenty stable and cheeeep!

The glass is both too thin and not as flat as plate glass. Plate glass is made by a special process that produces an extremely flat surface. I would also be worried about the window glass breaking under the pressure of sharpening, even with appriopriate backing.
Stick with plate glass. It's cheap enough in size pieces you need.
--RC That which does not kill us makes us stronger. --Friedrich Nietzsche Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin. -- Wiz Zumwalt