Chisel sharpening system recommendations

I want a system for my toolbox to sharpen chisels on site - so no bench grinders! I want it to put a finer edge on chisels in use, and not for resharpening any realy blunt ones.

The choice seems to be between a honing guide and an oilstone, or the Trend Fasttrack system.

Can anyone recommend a particualr one? And is the Trend system worth the expense?

cheers dg

Reply to
dg

Angle grinder! :)

I liked a simple diamond 'stone' - medium grit. It's gonna depend on what you want the chisels for.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In the workshop I use a Stanley honing guide & a cheap set of diamond stones like these

Not the best in the world, but cheap enough to chuck when they wear & much easier to use than an oilstone.

I carry a Diamond Sharpening Pen around

with a little practice & a steady eye you can improve the edge on a chisel on site. Also handy for router cutters, knives etc.

Worth reading is

The Medway Handyman

I carry a medium diamond stone and a Stanley honing guide. To touch u a chisel takes about a minute so why would you bother with anythin else

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

DMT diamond wetstone.

Reply to
dom

Wow. Aldi sell that exact set for a couple of quid. I bought two last year to use. Very useful they have been to, from sharpening to flattening the surface on disk pads.

Reply to
EricP

I bought a set of them some years ago and just couldn't get an edge. I think the tin must have flexed in use so rounding my efforts off.

I got a slab of a diamond stone with one face so fine I thought it was just the back of the bar. The other cuts like broken glass through chalk. Getting diamond grits is one thing but keeping them flat is another. they re only as good as the backing strip they are laminated to.

No messing with oil is the best thing about them. Having said that my old oil stone is still perfectly flat after years of use.

*******

I've got one of those clamps that you can fix a blade to in order to hold it at the right angle but have yet to use it. I've had it so long I doubt I could find it without a rigorous sort out.

The problem with them is that you need a slight curve in a plane blade and for sharpening chisels, it isn't worth the effort of getting it set up.

The best thing if you need sharp chisels at all times is a tool roll and use it meticulously. Which -after a while, you just don't bother with. It takes five minutes to get an edge on a chisel and the more often you do it, the easier and quicker it is to do.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

|On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:32:19 GMT, "The Medway Handyman" | wrote: | |>In the workshop I use a Stanley honing guide & a cheap set of diamond stones |>like these |>

|>Not the best in the world, but cheap enough to chuck when they wear & much |>easier to use than an oilstone.

My two sided, coarse and fine, carborundum stone works well and cost peanuts, not sure where it came from. | |Wow. Aldi sell that exact set for a couple of quid.

Not any more, but they will probably appear on the specials list some time in the future

My exact duplicate set came from Lidl, if one wants to wait till they come round on the specials list again.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I agree with your thoughts but I am interested in this tool roll?

Sharpening takes longer than using, a bit of a pain.

Reply to
EricP

I use a Tormek wetstone - easy, fast, great results.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Do a google search for Scary Sharp - this uses a sucession of finer and finer grades of emery paper on a glass plate. Very cheap and sucessful - I use this in conjunction with a stanley guide to get the angle correct.

Trev

NoSpam wrote:

Reply to
trevormwebb

So do I, but I wouldn't think of it as something for site use....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah, didn't see the "site" bit. RTFQ!

Dave