oil based paints ban!?

Page 1 of 3
Aaaurgh!
I just picked up on the local news, that NY State is banning sales of all oil-based products at the end of this year, 2004.
SOB!! Some other states have done thyis already, did you wreckers move out of those states, or what?
Solvents are NOT harmful just because they;re volatile! Acetone and alcohol are examples.
The damage to the ozone layer was done most entirely by Freon and fluorocarbons, as far as I know, because those are the only solvents that can last long enough to get that far up in the atmosphere.
Overdone doowah! All the best finishes and varnishes, gone? Never!
Where can I sign up against this stupid law!?!?
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Many of us have been using "water borne" finishing products for years because of health concerns (ours) and these products work well if not better than solvent based products.
It's time to take a step forward.
--
Rumpty

You haven't take the time to look at quality water borne product, have you?
--
Rumpty

I have tried them, not many because I feel they are vastly inferior to oil based products. Most people still do.
A step forward or a step back? Kind of an individual thing, but this legislation is upper US and way too general.
I guess water based products will be good on chipboard, particle board and hardboard. Those are all such a step forward, aren't they?
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

We used Hydrocote Resistane on hardwood furniture, oak, cherry, maple etc and it works fine. I defy anyone to tell the difference.
--
Rumpty

: wrote:
:>>I'll never put something that looks like milk on :>my products.
It only looks milky until it dries.
:> :>You haven't take the time to look at quality water borne product, have you? : I have tried them, not many because I feel they are vastly inferior to : oil based products. Most people still do.
Let's see. They dry faster. They're repairable, unlike oil-based poly finishes. They don't automatically tint and amber the wood you put them on (although you can easily add color if you want). They're better for your health.
Yup, inferior products all right!
: A step forward or a step back? Kind of an individual thing, but this : legislation is upper US and way too general.
: I guess water based products will be good on chipboard, particle board : and hardboard. Those are all such a step forward, aren't they?
The WB products also look great on walnut, quilted maple, etc.
    -- Andy Barss
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:08:07 -0500, "Battleax"

to water based stains... I seem to get the same results as oil based and easier cleanup..
It would be a bitch trying to use tung water or danish water, though..
it may not hurt the ozone, but the states are probably more worried about the smog instead, given the epa restrictions on states.
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:28:16 -0500, brocpuffs wrote:

Sorry, wrong information. Chlorofluorocarbons mess up the stratospheric ozone layer. That's "ozone = O3". For some reason, the brown crud in the lower tropospher, which does contain some O3, is called "ozone." Petrochemicals of various kinds are photoreactive. So, come a hot summer day, you get *cough* that nasty brown haze.
For the doubters, remember that what may not be a big problem when the population was small and dispersed is indeed a big problem when the population is large and concentrated. Pack several million people together, each releasing a teeny tiny amount of these chemicals, and voila, you have a problem.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

In Los Angeles or other areas prone to temperature inversions and still air you have a problem. In the rest of the world much less so.

--
--John
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:02:30 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

Yah. I was thinking NY as I wrote the original, and deliberately omitted LA because of the inversions. The City of the Angels had smog when nobody but a few hunter gatherers lived there. Nevertheless, "much less so" is still an awful lot. Beijing, Shanghai, eastern Europe, Mexico City (another smog bowl), and others come to mind. Photochemical smog happens in many, many places. Do you have "Ozone Action Days" where you live?
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Maybe the answer is to ban all cities with a size greater than 1,000,000! That will do lots of things! Solve the urban blight problem, solve the red/blue state problem. The only places that really lean strongly democratic are those huge urban areas.
It would also go a long way toward solving lots of other problem.
If we can legaly re-distribute wealth then why can't we legally re- distribute people?
Joe Willmann wrote: ...

If only redistribute, the we will simply be run over out here...I'm all for keeping them in their enclaves--in fact, I'd just as soon move some of ours to there... :) OTOH, a large earthquake or a strategic sinking of a portion of the NE could do wonders... :)
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Which portion of Nebraska do you want to sink?

You beat me to it! <G>
Barry
Nova wrote:

ID,
: Maybe the answer is to ban all cities with a size greater than : 1,000,000! That will do lots of things! Solve the urban blight : problem, solve the red/blue state problem. The only places that really : lean strongly democratic are those huge urban areas.
Or... the only places that really lean republican are those dinky little towns in states that get more from the federal government than they pay in.
Perspective is everything.
    -- Andy Barss
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:22:08 -0600, Australopithecus scobis

The chlorofluorocarbons are the main culprit re the OZONE layer, which is how the media described the problems oil based materials cause.
The brown crud is smog, not ozone, do other people really call it ozone? Shame on them for such misinformation. Smog is a different breed of cat, not at all better, but different. I believe automobile and factory emissions are a real major cause of this.
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com
brocpuffs wrote:

Here's a link to a newspaper article <http://fltimes.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleIDf04&SectionID8&SubSectionID 1&S=1>.
Looks like they think that the VOCs in paint _create_ ozone somehow. I think there's confusion here on the part of the press. Of course the New York State Government's search engine is hosed.

--
--John