O/T: Paper Or Plastic

"Paper or plastic"?
A question that is being asked less and less these days here in SoCal.
More and more cities here in SoCal are implementing a policy of no more single use plastic bags to carry home your purchases from retail stores.
Single use paper bags are available for $0.10 each or reusable bags may be purchased for $1.00.
Why all the fuss?
An attempt to keep an estimated 1 billion used plastic bags discarded after use every year out of the ocean.
BTW, it's working.
Lew

It's also providing work for loggers, truckers, and mill workers who make paper bags out of renewable trees!
John
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 19:07:56 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Environmentally, there is little difference between paper or plastic based on multiple studies. Reusable bags make the most sense and I prefer them, personally.
One step is behavior modification and education. If you buy one item already packaged, do you really need a bag at all? If you are doing the bagging in the store, fill the bags and not give the customer 12 bags for 14 items.
When we get plastic bags, they get used one or two more times before we toss them. I take my lunch in them, bring home the empty container, and they are used for small trash can liners.

Another way is to collect plastic bags and reuse the plastic. That's what is done here. All grocery stores have containers to collect plastic bags. I hope (snicker) they do indeed bring them to a recycling plant. But we use reusable bags as much as possible.
--
Best regards
Han
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Picky, picky.
Every time I've been asked: "Paper or plastic?" I've responded with:
"I don't care. I'm bisacksual."
On 7/2/2012 7:11 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I say both just to see the look on their face. ;~)

I put my canvas sacks in front of the groceries and have actually had the clerks set the sack down to fill it, set the others behind them to fill them later, and then ask me "Paper or Plastic?"
-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold
On 7/1/2012 9:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You Have to pay extra for the single use packaging to carry your purchased home???
Do you have to pay extra for a receipt too.
In S. Tex we do not pay for that kind of stuff, use single use bags, and I have not seen any of them in the ocean/gulf. That is working too!
Do you people in California not know how to dispose of your trash properly?

Toronto city council just recently ended the .05 charge for plastic bags. But, in their wisdom, they didn't stop there. As of 2013, the use of all plastic bags will be ended.
I'm going to have to stock up on several hundred of them before that since I use them for tossing used cat litter.
On 7/02/12 9:25 AM, Dave wrote:

Us too, although usually the cat litter leaves in the same bag it came in.
--
Froz...

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:50:55 -0400, FrozenNorth

I buy it in a 14kg plastic bucket which lasts several weeks. Wouldn't want to hold onto used cat litter for that long, smell would have the neighbours on the offensive.
On 7/02/12 11:32 AM, Dave wrote:

Five cats, we/or rather they must go through it faster.
--
Froz...

You can add women to that list. One is nice, two or three is much better ~ until it costs you to get them out of your life. Guess then it crosses your mind about using one of those many guns you have. :)

People pay good money for used guns. The more you have the more you can get paid. Old ones can even bring good money.
Dave wrote:

Instead of getting married, one wag suggested just finding a woman you can't stand and giving her half your shit.

And the idea is to go through all that pain an suffering just to get it out of your system?